Special Order 191: Ruse of War?

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2010
      Joseph Ryan has posted an interesting article online entitled "Special Order 191: Ruse of War?"

      You can find it at the MHO website http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/

      His premise is that Lee intentionally planted SO 191 for Federals to find.

      He states that Lee "had tricked McClellan into thinking, throwing his main weight against Crampton's Gap would expose him to an attack from Lee's main body at Turner's Gap, and now Lee had a good chance to draw McClellan into battle at Sharpsburg."

      He does raise some interesting points, such as why the found copy is in good shape, when it likely laid in the filed during the all-day storm of Sept 11th.

      Also, why didn't Lee ever investigate the matter of how the copy got lost.

      Read the article and let me know your thoughts!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2010

        Personally I think that is a crock.

        If Lee "had" personally taken efforts to plant SO 191, he would
        not have been so upset when D H Hill wrote an article on SO191
        being beneficial to the ANVa; see "Finale" chapter to TATF, pg.
        480 supra.

        Also, regarding the loss of SO191, you might want to see what
        Harsh says earlier in TATF as well as his research companion
        volume, Sounding the Shallows.

        As to the "copy" the author of the MHO piece speaks of, could it
        be possibly one that someone on Gen JEB Stuart;s staff might have
        dropped? Stuart's command, and especially Hampton, were the last
        Confederates to leave the Frederick area. If this is what
        happened, it would explain the relatively undamaged condition of
        the order.

        Ryan does make some interesting points but again, I tend to
        follow Harsh's studies on the question.