Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Smithfield (Middleway) VA Bridge

  • Ian Workman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010

      Sideloader shells are Confederate manufactured cannonballs. They had a hole
      in the side of them that was later filled with lead, brass, or iron. The
      case shot balls and the hot sulfer matrix were poured into the balls and let
      cool. Once the matrix was hardened the side loader hole was plugged. They
      then drilled a powder chamber through the hole where the fuse was to be
      placed. Once the powder charge was in place in went the fuse adaptor and the
      shell was ready for firing.

      It is also important to notice that there were several skirmishes at this
      bridge. The weapon of choice for the federal troops was the Spencer carbine.

      Ian Workman

      On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...