Croasdale's Knoll

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
      Hi Gerry, it's not a secret, the Knoll is located where the 12th Pa Cav monument is on Mansfield Ave.

      Years ago a group of us went looking for it (including Tom Clemens).  Do you remember that Tom?  While we thought we had the right area, the smoking gun came when I read this after our exploration:

      Second Brigade of the Pennsylvania Reserves at Antietam , 1908, Address given by Colonel Oliver C. Bosbyshell, Secretary of the Antietam Battlefield Commission, at the dedication of the 128th Pa monument on Sept. 17, 1906, page 105.

      "... Whilst away on yonder knoll where your good colonel[Croasdale]lost his life, stands the fine figure of a 'Calvalryman' to honor the 12th Cavalry regiment."

      Paula

      Paula,

      On a separate issue, could you tell me...privately if you
      wish...where Croasdales Knoll on the Antietam battlefield is?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
        Yes I do Paula, and like you I have found several confirmations of that in the Battlefield Board letters. Including some from the 128th which I will share with you one of these days. Brian P was there too, a fond memory indeed.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
          Thanks Tom, I would love to see those letters.  I have photos from that day in my non-digital camera world.  Some day when I have time (HA!), I'll try and scan them.  (maybe the summer)

          Paula

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
            Dear Paula,

            Thanks! When I had a friend there on the field the day of the
            Illumination (we did some touring beforehand), I think I might
            have seen the monument, but not sure.