Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Smithfield (Middleway) VA Bridge

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010
      Larry;

      I recall something using the word "Kanawha" but not sure.....

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010

        That was one of the names suggested for the new state carved out of Virginia:

        State of Kanawha
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

        Unrecognized state of the United States 1861 – 1863
        - Commonwealth of Virginia secedes from the United States and joins the Confederacy April 16, 1861
        - Wheeling Convention secedes from Virginia August 20, 1861
        - Admitted to the Union June 20, 1863

        Kanawha was a proposed name for what later became the U.S. state of West Virginia, formed on October 24, 1861. It consisted of most of the northwestern counties of Virginia, which decided to secede from Virginia after Virginia joined the Confederate States of America on April 17, 1861 at the beginning of the American Civil War (1861–1865). The separation had been approved by the loyalist Wheeling Convention on August 20, 1861. The name of "Kanawha", based on the Kanawha River, was proposed by the convention as the name for the new state.

        During the First Constitutional Convention, on December 3, 1861, Harmon Sinsel, of Taylor County, made a motion to strike the word Kanawha from the new state constitution. The discussion regarding the motion revealed concerns of possible confusion between the State of Kanawha and the County of Kanawha within the same state. Additionally, there was an expressed desire among the convention members to reflect their Virginian heritage. After much debate, the motion passed 30-14 and a new name was sought.

        During the subsequent discussion, where names such as "Allegheny", "Augusta", "Columbia", "New Virginia", "Vandalia", "West Virginia" and "Western Virginia" were suggested, it was decided that roll would be called and each member of the Convention would answer their name with their preferred name for the new State. If one of the names reached a majority vote, it would be selected as the new name for the State. Upon vote, 30 of the 44 members had selected "West Virginia". Having reached a majority, the name for the new State officially became West Virginia.

        About eighteen months later, West Virginia was formally admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863.

        > Larry;
        >
        > I recall something using the word "Kanawha" but not sure.....

      • Ian Workman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010
          Hello,

          Sideloader shells are Confederate manufactured cannonballs. They had a hole
          in the side of them that was later filled with lead, brass, or iron. The
          case shot balls and the hot sulfer matrix were poured into the balls and let
          cool. Once the matrix was hardened the side loader hole was plugged. They
          then drilled a powder chamber through the hole where the fuse was to be
          placed. Once the powder charge was in place in went the fuse adaptor and the
          shell was ready for firing.

          It is also important to notice that there were several skirmishes at this
          bridge. The weapon of choice for the federal troops was the Spencer carbine.

          Sincerely,
          Ian Workman

          On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM, eighth_conn_inf <eighth_conn_inf@...