19th Century Taxes

  • Marc73@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2010
      Been following the comments on how taxes were collected in the 19th century. Basically as follows:

      At the end of the nineteenth century, federal taxes only absorbed about 3 percent of the national income ($6.64 per person), and state and municipal taxes added another 6 percent ($13.28 per person). There was no income tax, except a temporary one during the Civil War, until the 16th Amendment to the Constitution established this tax in 1913. The bulk of federal revenues came almost entirely from tariffs, excise taxes, and customs duties. The federal debt was small and steadily contracting. There were minor outlays for social services, and the Treasury often had a surplus. Low taxes meant that workers or business owners kept most of their wages or profits to spend on themselves or their businesses. At the end of the nineteenth century, Americans had the right to keep what they earned. The combination of a free economy, political liberty, strict protection of property rights, and a small federal government was the spark plug that turned America into the most productive nation on Earth.

      Just as an aside most state and local taxes were taxes on sin and luxery items ie; booze etc and also an estate tax. That is why in some historical homes they know exactly what the person owned since his estate accounting upon death was very detailed. There was no income tax per se during this time period. It was more of a value added tax at death along with consumption taxation.

      Marc Riddell--CPA,CVA
      1st Minn Co D
      2nd USSS

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2010
        Marc,

        Good to hear from you! Could not help contrasting how the overall
        taxation and economic apparatus of the US during the 19h century
        fueled the tremendous industrial expansion that made the US a
        world power by the beginning of the 20th century against the
        situation that exists today. (That's all I am going to say on
        that one!)

      • 128thpa@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
          FYI:

          Cheltenham Township Historical Commission Presents “Black Soldiers in Blue” a video documentary about Camp William Penn (the largest training camp for African American Soldiers during the Civil War), and the United States Colored Troops (USCTs).   To be held on Thursday 2/11/10 at Curtis Hall, 8pm, 1250 W. Church Rd, Wyncote, Pa (just 2-3 blocks north of the Philadelphia border).   Following the video, on hand will be Warren Bass, the filmmaker, Jim Paradis, historian and narrator, and the 3 rd USCT reenactors.     Admission is FREE.

          If you need any information, you can contact me privately.  I can give you the township website ( www.cheltenhamtownship.org ), but it is not up to date, and I couldn't find any info on this event.  My information is directly form the Historical Commission.  In addition, I have been a member of a task team to open a museum dedicated to Camp William Penn and as a member of the Delaware Valley CWRT we has raised money for the museum.

          Paula

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2010
            Paula,

            On a separate issue, could you tell me...privately if you
            wish...where Croasdales Knoll on the Antietam battlefield is?