Re: Congratulations, Tom!

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
      THAT is strictly a cost issue. Having worked in the book publishing business for a number of years, I can tell you that NO publisher could fail to lose money if they tried to reprint that Atlas today.

      If it ever were to be attempted, the only way I think it could possibly be done would be to reprint the maps as single sheets (as opposed to being bound in a book).

      > I suppose it would be. Now if someone could only come up with an
      > atlas of the Cope-Carman maps in a format people could read.

    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)