Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Congratulations, Tom!

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
      Tom Clemens wrote:
      I would like to say that Jake was very apologetic about this unfortunate incident, and very gracious about the whole thing. I too was mystified about our un-named common acquaintences and thei lack of communication, but as Jake has said, c'est la guerre.

      Both UNC and Duke research libraries have a notebook in their reading room the purpose of which is for researchers/writers to write in the the subject they're researching and why. They also ask for contact information. It's all voluntary, of course. Was wondering if any of you think this is a good idea.
      Regards,
      Teej

    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)