Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Congratulations, Tom!

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
      I suppose it would be. Now if someone could only come up with an
      atlas of the Cope-Carman maps in a format people could read.

      I know the LOC has it on a website but its clunky to use and very
      difficult to print out maps from.

      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)