RE: [TalkAntietam] Congratulations, Tom!

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2010
      Well that is a good question Harry. I think when Joe Harsh suggested it to was 1996 or 97. Can't exactly recall. I know it was when he was working on the trilogy because he had typed a lot of it then. He suggested I finish the typescript and then edit. I took Spring 2001 semester to work on it, memorable because my Mom had quadruple bypass and I got divorced, I think the last
      summer we were at Mont Alto. Went back the next fall and taught 6 classes, five different prepations and finishing the dissertation, and trying to re-establish my life. Honestly I didn't do muh for a couple years while I got things sorted out and eventually re-married. Then when I did get back to working on it Jake came out with his version which demoralized me to where I quit working for a year or so. When Savas said he'd publish I got energized again. So really it is not 20 years, more like 10 or 12, with some big lapses. A lot of that has been gathering the letters, creating the files and building the datbase to sort it all out. Still working on that really.
      That's the short version. Will share the long story over a brew sometime.

      >>> "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> 01/07/10 6:51 PM >>>
      Just out of curiosity, Tom, how long HAVE you been working on this? I know
      it's been at least ten years, because I know you were working on it when we
      met.

      Harry

      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)