Re: re Carman and designations of troops

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
      Actually, I should amend what I said before.

      Carman used the OR ToO as the BASIS of the one in his manuscript, but he did make a few corrections. The units are nearly identical, but Carman did take exception to the ORs assigment of one or two regiments (and whether one or two CS batteries should be designated as part of an infantry brigade).

      In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding officers for units than what the OR ToO had.

      So in sum, Carman's ToO is merely a slight tweaking of what was published in the OR. He didn't craft it from scratch. He started with what the OR provided and then made a few corrections whenever he came across something that contradicted what the OR stated, but he never made a comprehensive effort to "proofread" or "factcheck" the OR ToO. Carman's ToO is not THE definitive accounting (if in fact the truth of every unit -- particularly in the AoP -- can ever be known). If the OR ToO contained an error, there's a chance it was carried over into Carman's version. As is true of those in Murfin, Sears, etc. (Sears in particular states quite candidly that he took his ToO from the OR.)

      That, btw, is the standard practice in most every ToO you find in the back of a modern study of a Civil War battle. With rare exceptions (Harsh comes to mind) the author isn't starting from scratch; they're just copying straight from the OR.

      So just because your favorite book on a particular CW battle has a ToO that matches the OR ToO exactly, that DOESN'T necessarily mean that teh information is 100% accurate. It just means your book copied it from the OR.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
        Dear Jake,

        All that makes sense. But what does ToO mean? I gather it means
        the same as OOB but what do the initials stand for?

        <snip>In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding
        officers for units than what the OR ToO had.
        <snip>
      • joseph_pierro
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
          Table of Organization