Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Congratulations, Tom!

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2010
      Thanks Dave, I may take you up on that.

      >>> <DPowell334@...> 1/7/2010 12:24 PM >>>

      Do you want help with the Chicago stuff? I could maybe run down there, if
      you have a cite, Tom.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 1/7/2010 11:08:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      clemenst@... writes:

      Another mystery to resolve now: in the Chicago PL is a series of letters
      to a third party, cannot recall the name off-hand, from a number of
      Confederates from AL that were solicited by a newspaper advertisement in
      Birmingham to send their recollections of Antietam. (I think I shared a couple of
      these with Gerry) They represent several regiments, including a couple
      from Wilcox's brigade, that help with that part of the fight. What is
      intriguing is that all addressed to this third party except one, which is
      addressed to Carman. So what is the connection here? I cannot find one. So far
      anyway. Was Carman using"stringers?" I don't know.
      You're right, I will be working on Carman's letter the rest of my life.
      So far I have over 1,700 in a database. And many more to catalog.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)