Re: Congratulations, Tom!

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7 10:13 AM
      "Stringers" is probably the right word. I came across three or four ads in Deep South papers soliciting material for the Antietam Battlefield Board that asked people to send their material to a (relatively) LOCAL address, not to the Board in DC.

      Since postage rates from the mid-19th century onward were not based on distance within the continental US, I'm not entirely sure why material wasn't just sent to Washington. It wasn't a cost consideration.

      I can understand the use of local agents (particularly given the greater number of newspapers in Carman's day than in ours, coupled with the corresponding difficulty in locating and contacting them all across the country from a single D.C. location). And although Carman seems to have gotten along very well with former Confederates (indeed, quite a few Southerners took pains to stress to
      their fellow veterans that -- Yankee or not -- Carman was someone that treated ex-Confederates fairly and respectfully), perhaps it was felt that there were still a few holdouts that wouldn't talk to Washington bureaucrats directly, but would be more forthcoming to write to a fellow Southerner.

      It may be the case too that these "stringers" were only informally attached to the Antietam Battlefield Board (i.e., Carman and his fellow commissioners asked prominent ex-Confederates to spread the word on their own and see what they could turn up).

      The US Government was somewhat stingy with the ABB Budget. They wsure didn't provide funds for a formal team of field researchers. In fact, Carman himself was temporarily laid off from the Board beginning in 1895 due to budget constraints, and for a time continued working as a volunteer. (A few years later, the War Department authorized additional funds to complete the Board's outstanding tasks.)

      All that said, all of the "third party" dealings with the ABB that Tom refers to that I have ever seen all came from Southerners. A few Northern historians made their own independent Antietam work available to Carman and the ABB, but I never came across anyone from a Northern state ever addressing things to the ABB care of any address but the Board or one of its members.
    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8 10:24 AM
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)