[TalkAntietam] Re: Congratulations, Tom!

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2010
      Jake,
      Thanks for the kind words. Yes the NYPL is a unique place when it comes to research. :-) But then again, it is "N'Yawk," and they have the attitude, as you know. I was able to have the correspondence files microfilmed, and they the micorfilm transferred to pdf files, and the pdfs printed out so I can sort all the letters from each brigade into one file to see everything Carman looked at when he was writing. Still a few gaps, but helpful.
      There are indeed real gold nuggets in the NYPL files. Using letters there I have resolved the source mystery for three or four stories Carman related in Vol. I that have no other documentation. Probably hours-wise it isn't worth it to get a footnote here and there, but very personally satisfying.
      And yes Hooker's letters are a hoot. I found the one where he insisted he told Howard to entrench his right flank at Chancellorsville! Joe never lacked for self-confidence nor esteem.

      Another mystery to resolve now: in the Chicago PL is a series of letters to a third party, cannot recall the name off-hand, from a number of Confederates from AL that were solicited by a newspaper advertisement in Birmingham to send their recollections of Antietam. (I think I shared a couple of these with Gerry) They represent several regiments, including a couple from Wilcox's brigade, that help with that part of the fight. What is intriguing is that all addressed to this third party except one, which is addressed to Carman. So what is the connection here? I cannot find one. So far anyway. Was Carman using"stringers?" I don't know.
      You're right, I will be working on Carman's letter the rest of my life. So far I have over 1,700 in a database. And many more to catalog.

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)