Civil War Park Day - This Saturday

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3 6:12 AM
      Hello Guys

      I recieved this on another list, and thought maybe some of you
      might like to help.

      Andy

      SPIRIT OF VOLUNTEERISM ALIVE AT AMERICA'S HALLOWED CIVIL WAR
      BATTLEGROUNDS

      Battlefield group encourages volunteers to join a national
      preservation event on April 6th.

      (Washington, D.C.) - The American Civil War began as a struggle
      between armies of untrained but enthusiastic volunteers. More
      than a century later, another army of volunteers is about to
      descend on this nation's storied Civil War battlefields - only
      this array of dedicated men and women will be armed with paint
      brushes, trash bags and weed whackers.

      On Saturday, April 6th, the Civil War Preservation Trust (CWPT)
      and The History Channel will team up with history buffs and
      conservationists of all ages to clean and restore Civil War-
      related battlefields, cemeteries and shrines. The nationwide
      effort - dubbed Park Day - will include more than 85 historic
      sites in 21 states.

      "America's Civil War sites are often the victims of their own
      popularity," noted CWPT President James Lighthizer. "Without
      proper maintenance, battlefields can suffer from the ravages of
      both time and neglect. Our goal is to spruce up these links to
      America's past so they can be enjoyed by all."

      Now in its sixth year, Park Day is an annual hands-on preservation
      event created by CWPT. This year's theme is "Our Parks, Our Past,
      Our Pride." Volunteers are encouraged to gather at designated
      Civil War sites to help with routine repairs and maintenance.
      Activities can range from raking leaves and hauling trash to
      painting signs and trail building. In exchange for their hard
      work, participants receive t-shirts and have an opportunity
      to hear local historians describe the significance of the site.

      Among the sites that will be benefiting from Park Day activities
      are Antietam in Maryland, Averasboro in North Carolina, Stones
      River in Tennessee, and Manassas in Virginia. "On these hallowed
      fields, our ancestors made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. We
      would be dishonoring their memory if we allowed these sites to
      fall victim to decay and neglect," remarked Lighthizer.

      With 38,000 members, CWPT is the largest nonprofit battlefield
      preservation organization in the United States. Its goal is to
      preserve our nation's endangered Civil War sites and to promote
      appreciation of these hallowed grounds through education and
      heritage tourism. CWPT's website is located at www.civilwar.org.

      (A list of the 85-plus sites participating in Park Day is
      available online at http://www.civilwar.org/parkday.htm.)

      CIVIL WAR PRESERVATION TRUST
      1331 H Street, N.W., Suite 1001
      Washington, D.C. 20005
      Phone: (202) 367-1861 Fax: (202) 367-1865
      http://www.civilwar.org
      cwpt@...
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 4:26 AM
        Andy,
        I can make you a better offer. If your around the following week, Save
        Historic Antietam Foundation is having their own semi-annual park clean-up
        that was scheduled long before Civil War Trust scheduled theirs. We will be
        clearing areas of that had historic fence lines of the brush and trees that
        have grown up inhibiting historic vistas such as the Roulette field
        overlooking the Sunken Road or maybe the southern end of the battlefield
        such as the route of the Ninth Corps after the taking of the "Burnside"
        Bridge.

        Kevin Rawlings
        Vice President, SHAF, Inc.

        -

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4 4:33 AM
          Kevin

          I should be around that weekend. If you have any information you
          could send me, times etc. I would be more than willing to help out.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4 6:17 AM
            Andy,
            We'll gather on the 13th about 9:00 am at the Visitor Center and proceed to
            where the Park wants us to work. Last fall we got just about an entire fence
            row cleared of trees in front of the western end of Bloody Lane. I will be
            late as my daughter has a soccer game but will be there right after. We'll
            be happy to have your help. I'll forward anymore pertinent info as it come
            available. We will be having a newsletter mailing coming out after Sunday,
            so I'll have more details this Monday.

            Kevin

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4 4:23 PM
              Kevin, Andy et al.
              It looks like we will be doing more clearing at teh Pry House vista, next to
              McClellan's HQ.
              Bring gloves, water and working clothes, it may still be chilly then.
              Tom Clemens