Re: [TalkAntietam] Congratulations, Tom!

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2010
      Dear Jake,

      As someone who knows Tom Clemens and is familiar with his
      doctoral thesis (which is probably the basis for his book, that
      is, Volume 1), I can tell you that Tom spent months during his
      doctoral thesis working up the annotations for names, etc that
      appear in the Carman MS.

      Interesting points about the OOB that is in Carman as to how it
      originated! However, Harsh makes some intriguing comments in his
      research companion to Taken at the Flood book... I speak of
      Sounding the Shallows here... that Carman somewhere must have
      included strength numbers for each of the units involved in the
      campaign or battle.

      From my own research into the Sunken Road and from reading
      Carman, I have discovered that most of the map depictions of the
      position of the Second NC in essays or treatments of the Sunken
      Road fight are incorrect. According to Carman, the two right-most
      companies of the Second fronted directly into the Roulette Lane.
      This would mean the majority of the regiment thereby went to the
      west, up toward the bend in the Sunken Road where the ground
      level drops sharply.

      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)