Congratulations, Tom!

  • joseph_pierro
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2010
      I just want to take the belated opportunity to congratulate Tom Clemens. I learned only yesterday that the first volume of HIS edition of the Carman manuscript is due out in the summer, and I look forward to reading it.

      I know Tom has spent quite a number of years working with this material, and no one knows better than I what a Herculean task it can be to come to terms with the MOUNTAIN of paper involved -- not simply Carman's gargantuan manuscript, but also the trunkfuls of supporting documents.

      As I said in the introduction to my edition of Carman some years ago, entire books could be written on the basis of critical examinations of everything Carman had to say (or didn't say, or said incorrectly). That was a larger task than I cared to engage in in my work. (I had the more modest goal of simply making Carman's original work more accessible to scholars an enthusiasts alike.)

      It appears that Tom is taking that next step forward, and I wish him the best in completing it.

      --jake
    • joseph_pierro
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 8, 2010
        Oh, if you change the FORMAT, it could be done (in theory). I was merely speaking about the impossibility of ever seeing the Antietam Atlas ever reprinted in its original form. (CD-ROM is great, but unless you have a color printer that'll take a sheet of paper three feet by four feet. . . . )

        For those who've never seen the Antietam Atlas (and very few were produced), each plate is about the size of a small coffee table. If you've ever seen a plate from the ORIGINAL OR Atlas (not the one currently sold in bookstores; those have been reduced dramatically in size), it's almost identical. And in terms of page count, the OR Atlas is probably 20x the size of the Antietam Atlas. (A book has to be of a certain length to make the eocnomics of publishing work.)