Re: [TalkAntietam] re Carman and designations of troops

    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
      Dean,

      Something else you might find interesting... if you look at the
      OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you will
      find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
      Meier for the Antietam game.

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
        On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Something else you might find interesting... if you look at the
        > OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you will
        > find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
        > Meier for the Antietam game.

        Not surprising, popular book available for a game designer to copy down.

        Compare it to the Carmen OOB in Pierro's book, that should convince you.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
          Gerry, having played this game years ago, the developers probably
          resorted to labeling troops "crack" or "green" based on their historical
          performance during the actual battle, and the particular weight they
          wanted to give to each unit. In all these games, the more experienced
          units will rally faster, become less fatigued, be less apt to break and
          run, and so on. They wanted to reflect this in the game. Couldn't very
          well have the Iron Brigade lose cohesion at the first shots, even though
          that could have historically happened based on their limited battle
          experience. All wargames use this technique, afaik.

          Dave McGowan

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
            I do not have Pierro's book here. If someone has a way (maybe a
            project for you, Brian???) to compare the two side by side, that
            would be an interesting project.....

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
              Dear Dave,

              "Green" troops is an understandable quantification, since these
              would largely be the nine month and three year units hurriedly
              rushed to the AoP to participate in the campaign. A good and
              historical example of this would be both the Twentieth Maine
              Volunteer Infantry and the Thirteenth New Jersey. A typical nine
              month unit would be either the One-hundred-twenty-eigth
              Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry or the One-hundred-thirtieth
              Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry.

              In the trained category, a unit such as the Seventeenth Michigan
              would be placed. It was a green unit but had spent much of the
              summer of 1862 in being properly drilled before being sent to
              join the main Eastern Federal army.

              The Iron Brigade did, from what I have read overall, acquit
              itself quite well during the fighting around the West
              Woods-Miller Cornfield sector earlier in the morning of September
              17th. That is still not to say that some members of the brigade
              did run or retreat, but their combat experience is better than
              that of the green units of the Twelfth Army Corps.

              > Gerry, having played this game years ago, the developers
              > probably
              > resorted to labeling troops "crack" or "green" based on their
              > historical
              > performance during the actual battle, and the particular weight
              > they
              > wanted to give to each unit. In all these games, the more
              > experienced
              > units will rally faster, become less fatigued, be less apt to
              > break and
              > run, and so on. They wanted to reflect this in the game.
              > Couldn't very
              > well have the Iron Brigade lose cohesion at the first shots,
              > even though
              > that could have historically happened based on their limited
              > battle
              > experience. All wargames use this technique, afaik.
              >
              > Dave McGowan
              >
              > G E Mayers wrote:
              >>
              >> Dean,
              >>
              >> Something else you might find interesting... if you look at
              >> the
              >> OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you
              >> will
              >> find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
              >> Meier for the Antietam game.
              >>
              >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
              >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

              >> even
              >> from
              >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                Gerry, I don't disagree. But, for the folks playing the game, they
                would have a much better chance of having heard of the Iron Brigade
                rather than the 17 MI or equivalent units. They would expect them to
                perform far better than other units based on their performance in this
                battle, plus Gettysburg and beyond (although that is inaccurate in this
                context). They have a more legendary character, you might say. Same
                with the Irish Brigade, I would think. Sort of artistic license,
                perhaps. But, Sid Meier was and is known for having as much or more
                historical accuracy in his games as anyone, while remaining playable.

                Dave

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Joining this late, have been reading letters to Carman from the NYPL all afternoon. My favorite quote so far today is Heysinger called Capt. Means of the Loudoun Rangers " a damned rebel deserter." Fun stuff.
                  Dean is absolutely correct, Carman never designated any troops green, blue, or anything else. Remeber he was leading a green regiment there. Sid Meirs bought the typescript of the Carman manuscript from Joe to put in teh game, and the OOB went with it. They ignored all the stuff leading up to the Antietam, which I think is a very interesting portion of the mss. But it did help Joe fund his research & writing. Complicated asthe ANV OOB can be, and it is, the Union OOB portrayed by Carman is much more reflective of the army after the battle than before it. Likely the OOB will not be in Vol. I but when I put it in Vol. II I want to note when units actually joined the AOP. Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke. Up until the 17th Lee had more cavalry than McClellan.

                  G E Mayers wrote:
                  > Dear Dave,
                  >
                  > "Green" troops is an understandable quantification, since these
                  > would largely be the nine month and three year units hurriedly
                  > rushed to the AoP to participate in the campaign. A good and
                  > historical example of this would be both the Twentieth Maine
                  > Volunteer Infantry and the Thirteenth New Jersey. A typical nine
                  > month unit would be either the One-hundred-twenty-eigth
                  > Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry or the One-hundred-thirtieth
                  > Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry.
                  >
                  > In the trained category, a unit such as the Seventeenth Michigan
                  > would be placed. It was a green unit but had spent much of the
                  > summer of 1862 in being properly drilled before being sent to
                  > join the main Eastern Federal army.
                  >
                  > The Iron Brigade did, from what I have read overall, acquit
                  > itself quite well during the fighting around the West
                  > Woods-Miller Cornfield sector earlier in the morning of September
                  > 17th. That is still not to say that some members of the brigade
                  > did run or retreat, but their combat experience is better than
                  > that of the green units of the Twelfth Army Corps.

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                    On Jan 2, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                    > Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke.

                    By trail and error (using the Supplemental OR) I came to the same
                    conclusion. Once cut down to the units available and less the ones
                    being used as provost, you end up with essentially one brigade under
                    Pleasonton. It is shown that way in my game.

                    I think the OR/Carmen/everywhere 5-bde organization is the October
                    one, not the one in place at the battle.

                    Dean

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Trying to find numbers of troopers in their saddles isn't easy so I decided to discount the numbers based on numbers mentioned during the campaign.

                      It has become clear to me why the cav on both sides simply could not do more than it was doing--it lacked the numbers. Both Lee and Mac expected more from their horsemen but I believed they understood why it couldn't do more. Still, I expected more from Stuart than Pleasonton.
                      Larry

                      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <d.essig@...> wrote:

                      > On Jan 2, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
                      >
                      > > Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke.
                      >
                      > By trail and error (using the Supplemental OR) I came to the same
                      > conclusion. Once cut down to the units available and less the ones
                      > being used as provost, you end up with essentially one brigade under
                      > Pleasonton. It is shown that way in my game.
                      >
                      > I think the OR/Carmen/everywhere 5-bde organization is the October
                      > one, not the one in place at the battle.
                      >
                      > Dean

                    • joseph_pierro
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Lol! This question seems to come up again every six months or so.

                        Those "color" designmations, as have been explained by others here, were the addition of the GAME DESIGNER. They do not come from Carman.

                        This whole Table of Organization exercise provides a useful lesson in historical research. If you look in several sources and they all say the same thing, it's probably the correct answer, right?

                        Well . . . not necessarily. It could be that everyone is simply QUOTING from one another -- or all from the same, initial, FLAWED source.

                        The ToO in the back of Carman's manuscript -- as is the case with nearly EVERY ToO in EVERY Antietam book, is simply reprinted from the Antietam volume of the OR. (In fact, if you go through Carman's original manuscript, a few of the ToO pages therein aren't even in his handwriting. They're printed pages torn out of a copy of the OR itself.

                        The ToOs in the OR are not contemporary documents (such as the reports and dispatches). Those were drafetd by the EDITORS decades after the fact. For a battle like Antietam, where the AoP was receiving units as fast as Halleck and the War Department could ship them to meet up with McCellan, the final composition is a bit difficult to pin down on a particular day. Federal cavalry units that arrived in the aftermath of the battle were "counted" as part of the AoP Order of Battle.

                        --joseph pierro
                      • joseph_pierro
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Actually, I should amend what I said before.

                          Carman used the OR ToO as the BASIS of the one in his manuscript, but he did make a few corrections. The units are nearly identical, but Carman did take exception to the ORs assigment of one or two regiments (and whether one or two CS batteries should be designated as part of an infantry brigade).

                          In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding officers for units than what the OR ToO had.

                          So in sum, Carman's ToO is merely a slight tweaking of what was published in the OR. He didn't craft it from scratch. He started with what the OR provided and then made a few corrections whenever he came across something that contradicted what the OR stated, but he never made a comprehensive effort to "proofread" or "factcheck" the OR ToO. Carman's ToO is not THE definitive accounting (if in fact the truth of every unit -- particularly in the AoP -- can ever be known). If the OR ToO contained an error, there's a chance it was carried over into Carman's version. As is true of those in Murfin, Sears, etc. (Sears in particular states quite candidly that he took his ToO from the OR.)

                          That, btw, is the standard practice in most every ToO you find in the back of a modern study of a Civil War battle. With rare exceptions (Harsh comes to mind) the author isn't starting from scratch; they're just copying straight from the OR.

                          So just because your favorite book on a particular CW battle has a ToO that matches the OR ToO exactly, that DOESN'T necessarily mean that teh information is 100% accurate. It just means your book copied it from the OR.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                            Dear Jake,

                            All that makes sense. But what does ToO mean? I gather it means
                            the same as OOB but what do the initials stand for?

                            <snip>In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding
                            officers for units than what the OR ToO had.
                            <snip>
                          • joseph_pierro
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                              Table of Organization