Franklin Biography

  • Curt Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
      I saw notice of a new biography of Maj. Gen. William B. Franklin today.  The gist of the advt. is that Franklin has finally found a "sympathetic" biographer.  Pretty remarkable that.  At any rate, I was wondering if anyone has seen the work and had an opinion.  Here is the info. to hand:

      Snell, Mark A.  From First to Last: The Life of Major General William B. Franklin.  Fordham. .

      Curt Johnson

      "But what good came of it at last?"
           Quoth little Peterkin.
      "Why that I cannot tell," said he,
           "But `twas a famous victory."

           -- Robert Southey, "The Battle of Blenheim"
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
        Curt,
        I've seen portions of it, and read a chapter for him, guess which one?
        The advantage Mark had on this book was that he had copies of all of
        Franklin's letters. Franklin was from York PA, Mark's home town. He
        evidently found a descendent there. I think Mark is enough of a
        historian not to fall in love with Franklin, but have not read the whole
        book yet.
        Tom Clemens

        Curt Johnson wrote:

        > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
        > Encoding: quoted-printable
      • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002

            The access to Franklin's papers is what intrigued me about the book. I
            would be most interested in what Franklin had to say, unofficially, about
            several events: Second Manassas, Crampton's Gap and Pleasant Valley, Sabine
            Pass, etc.

            Curt Johnson

            > I've seen portions of it, and read a chapter for him, guess which one?
            > The advantage Mark had on this book was that he had copies of all of
            > Franklin's letters. Franklin was from York PA, Mark's home town. He
            > evidently found a descendent there. I think Mark is enough of a
            > historian not to fall in love with Franklin, but have not read the whole
            > book yet.
            > Tom Clemens
            >
            > Curt Johnson wrote:
            >
            > > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
            > > Encoding: quoted-printable

          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2002
              Curt,
              I have not seen the book yet to know if all the letters are reprinted. I have
              photocopies of the Maryland Camapign letters, will dig them out if you'll give
              me a few days. Too busy right now to go searching.
              Tom

              Curt Johnson wrote:

              > Tom,
              >
              > The access to Franklin's papers is what intrigued me about the book. I
              > would be most interested in what Franklin had to say, unofficially, about
              > several events: Second Manassas, Crampton's Gap and Pleasant Valley, Sabine
              > Pass, etc.
              >
              > Curt Johnson

            • Curt Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2002

                If you are in a position to mail me copies of any letters related to
                Crampton's Gap, I would appreciate it. I can provide my snail-mail address
                by private e-mail.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2002
                  Curt,
                  I finally got in touch with Mark. He has another book coming which will include
                  Franklin's letters. He will not allow me to copy the letters until then.
                  Sorry, but I have to respect his wishes.
                  Tom