Re: [TalkAntietam] re Carman and designations of troops

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
      Gerry.

      That's not actually Carmen... there was a computer game (forget the
      name) that used some Carmen text and appended the game OOB with the
      game's assessments on the units. The strengths are pretty fishy, too.

      Dean

      On Jan 2, 2010, at 1:40 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Gang,
      >
      > I have noticed that Carman, in his Antietam OOB at the end of the
      > battle manuscript found on this link
      > (http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/carman.html
      > ) uses the designations of Green Troops, Trained Troops, Veteran
      > Troops, Elite Troops and Crack Troops.
      >
      > I understand the how and why of his designation of Green Troops,
      > especially for the nine month units in the AoP (and similarly for
      > the Trained Troops). Veteran troops would be those which had at
      > least seen one battle.
      >
      > Any one know what criteria he used to distinguish between Elite
      > Troops and Crack Troops?

    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010

        The site mentions the game on the first page as the source of the text.

        "The latest Civil War computer game from Firaxis is Sid Meier's
        "Antietam".

        Dean

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
          Dean,

          Thanks! However, I think our resident Carman experts might be
          able to weigh in on it also!

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
            Dean,

            Actually the OOB is in itself an error. Most historians make the
            mistake of back dating the OOB for the ANVa to September; as I am
            sure you well know, the OOB for ANVa for Fredericksburg reflects
            the reorganization efforts which Lee undertook beginning on
            September 18th and continuing through October, with the final
            announces being done in early November.

            Harsh makes a convincing argument that at least a third of the
            ANVa strength present on September 17th was not attached to
            either Jackson's or Longstreet's wings, but independent commands,
            answering directly to Lee.

            The CS Congress did not authorize the rank of Lieutenant-General
            until early October, about three weeks after Sharpsburg. Once Lee
            receives word of this, he immediately proposes to the War
            Department that Longstreet and Jackson be promoted to the new
            rank and given command of a corps. Also interesting that
            Longstreet's DOR (date of rank) for Lieutenant-General predates
            Jackson's by a day!

            There is also evidence that Lee might have considered A P Hill
            and D H Hill for a possible third corps. Lee was clearly not
            happy overall with D H Hill's performance. Even though A P Hill's
            stock had risen considerably and Lee considered him the best
            general he had after Longstreet and Jackson, I do not think Lee
            was yet ready to hand Little Powell another Lieutenant-Generlacy
            and a third corps.

            > That's not actually Carmen... there was a computer game (forget
            > the
            > name) that used some Carmen text and appended the game OOB with
            > the
            > game's assessments on the units. The strengths are pretty
            > fishy, too.
            >
            > Dean
            >
            > On Jan 2, 2010, at 1:40 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> Gang,
            >>
            >> I have noticed that Carman, in his Antietam OOB at the end of
            >> the
            >> battle manuscript found on this link
            >> (http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/carman.html
            >> ) uses the designations of Green Troops, Trained Troops,
            >> Veteran
            >> Troops, Elite Troops and Crack Troops.
            >>
            >> I understand the how and why of his designation of Green
            >> Troops,
            >> especially for the nine month units in the AoP (and similarly
            >> for
            >> the Trained Troops). Veteran troops would be those which had
            >> at
            >> least seen one battle.
            >>
            >> Any one know what criteria he used to distinguish between
            >> Elite
            >> Troops and Crack Troops?
            >>
            >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
            >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

            >> even
            >> from
            >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
              On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:09 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > Actually the OOB is in itself an error.

              There is a lot of funny-business going on in there, certainly _not_
              up to Gen. Carmen's standards !

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                I would suggest you read Harsh's Taken at the Flood for ANVa
                strengths and also his companion volume Sounding the Shallows,
                before commenting on any funny business a la Carman!

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Jake Pierro has many footnotes in his Appendix B of his Carman book for the OOB of the ANV which prove helpful. Likely Tom Clemens will also delve into the OOB issues in his new book.

                  > I would suggest you read Harsh's Taken at the Flood for ANVa
                  > strengths and also his companion volume Sounding the Shallows,
                  > before commenting on any funny business a la Carman!

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                    On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                    > I would suggest you read Harsh's Taken at the Flood for ANVa
                    > strengths and also his companion volume Sounding the Shallows,
                    > before commenting on any funny business a la Carman!

                    Gerry,

                    I have and those OOBs are NOT Carmen's, they are Sid Miers'. Feel
                    free to not take my word for it.

                    Good day, sir.

                    Dean

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                      Dear Dean,

                      That very well might be true. However, Harsh did develop an OOB
                      for ANVa which is probably more accurate than anything else out
                      there.

                      > On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:21 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                      >
                      >> I would suggest you read Harsh's Taken at the Flood for ANVa
                      >> strengths and also his companion volume Sounding the Shallows,
                      >> before commenting on any funny business a la Carman!
                      >
                      > Gerry,
                      >
                      > I have and those OOBs are NOT Carmen's, they are Sid Miers'.
                      > Feel
                      > free to not take my word for it.
                      >
                      > Good day, sir.
                      >
                      > Dean

                    • Dean Essig
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                        On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                        > That very well might be true. However, Harsh did develop an OOB
                        > for ANVa which is probably more accurate than anything else out
                        > there.

                        No argument with Harsh, my comments have only been directed at the
                        website's OOB. Harsh's work is the gold standard, only beat by Carmen
                        himself.

                        Unless I'm mistaken, that same OOB showed up a year or so ago on the
                        list, I think Tom Shay provided the link and we concluded the
                        categories given were not from Carmen, but from the computer game.

                        Dean
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                          Larry,

                          Be as that may, I am hoping Tom Clemens will comment on the
                          original post, since he is perhaps -- next to Jake Pierro -- the
                          one most familiar with Carman's manuscript.

                          I do believe Carman had a designation for the various regimental
                          commands to reflect their level of combat experience/expertise.
                          Interestingly enough, Harsh does allude to this, because in his
                          Sounding the Shallows (IIRC), he mentions that the Confederate
                          troop strengths per regiment as given by Carman actually were
                          done on the Federal model (present for duty) rather than the
                          Confederate model (muskets only) and consequently, the numbers
                          favor the Federals.

                          I would be very interested in what differentiated Crack vs Elite
                          troops. According to the OOB in Carman (or Sid Meier, if that is
                          where it came from), the Midwestern Brigade ("Iron Brigade")
                          commanded by Gibbon at Sharpsburg was given the designation of
                          "Crack troops" -- even though the first engagement for the
                          command was Brawner's Farm about three to four weeks earlier.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                            Dear Dean,

                            Again, be as that may, I answered Larry's post about much the
                            same thoughts. I would like much to hear what Tom "Carman"
                            Clemens has to say about that!

                            ;)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                              Dean,

                              Something else you might find interesting... if you look at the
                              OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you will
                              find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
                              Meier for the Antietam game.

                              > On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                              >
                              >> That very well might be true. However, Harsh did develop an
                              >> OOB
                              >> for ANVa which is probably more accurate than anything else
                              >> out
                              >> there.
                              >>

                              > No argument with Harsh, my comments have only been directed at
                              > the
                              > website's OOB. Harsh's work is the gold standard, only beat by
                              > Carmen
                              > himself.
                              >
                              > Unless I'm mistaken, that same OOB showed up a year or so ago
                              > on the
                              > list, I think Tom Shay provided the link and we concluded the
                              > categories given were not from Carmen, but from the computer
                              > game.
                              >
                              > Dean

                            • Dean Essig
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:41 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                                > Something else you might find interesting... if you look at the
                                > OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you will
                                > find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
                                > Meier for the Antietam game.

                                Not surprising, popular book available for a game designer to copy down.

                                Compare it to the Carmen OOB in Pierro's book, that should convince you.

                              • Dave
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                  Gerry, having played this game years ago, the developers probably
                                  resorted to labeling troops "crack" or "green" based on their historical
                                  performance during the actual battle, and the particular weight they
                                  wanted to give to each unit. In all these games, the more experienced
                                  units will rally faster, become less fatigued, be less apt to break and
                                  run, and so on. They wanted to reflect this in the game. Couldn't very
                                  well have the Iron Brigade lose cohesion at the first shots, even though
                                  that could have historically happened based on their limited battle
                                  experience. All wargames use this technique, afaik.

                                  Dave McGowan

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                    I do not have Pierro's book here. If someone has a way (maybe a
                                    project for you, Brian???) to compare the two side by side, that
                                    would be an interesting project.....

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                      Dear Dave,

                                      "Green" troops is an understandable quantification, since these
                                      would largely be the nine month and three year units hurriedly
                                      rushed to the AoP to participate in the campaign. A good and
                                      historical example of this would be both the Twentieth Maine
                                      Volunteer Infantry and the Thirteenth New Jersey. A typical nine
                                      month unit would be either the One-hundred-twenty-eigth
                                      Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry or the One-hundred-thirtieth
                                      Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry.

                                      In the trained category, a unit such as the Seventeenth Michigan
                                      would be placed. It was a green unit but had spent much of the
                                      summer of 1862 in being properly drilled before being sent to
                                      join the main Eastern Federal army.

                                      The Iron Brigade did, from what I have read overall, acquit
                                      itself quite well during the fighting around the West
                                      Woods-Miller Cornfield sector earlier in the morning of September
                                      17th. That is still not to say that some members of the brigade
                                      did run or retreat, but their combat experience is better than
                                      that of the green units of the Twelfth Army Corps.

                                      > Gerry, having played this game years ago, the developers
                                      > probably
                                      > resorted to labeling troops "crack" or "green" based on their
                                      > historical
                                      > performance during the actual battle, and the particular weight
                                      > they
                                      > wanted to give to each unit. In all these games, the more
                                      > experienced
                                      > units will rally faster, become less fatigued, be less apt to
                                      > break and
                                      > run, and so on. They wanted to reflect this in the game.
                                      > Couldn't very
                                      > well have the Iron Brigade lose cohesion at the first shots,
                                      > even though
                                      > that could have historically happened based on their limited
                                      > battle
                                      > experience. All wargames use this technique, afaik.
                                      >
                                      > Dave McGowan
                                      >
                                      > G E Mayers wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> Dean,
                                      >>
                                      >> Something else you might find interesting... if you look at
                                      >> the
                                      >> OOB list given at the back of the Murfin book, I think you
                                      >> will
                                      >> find it pretty much matches what is supposedly the work of Sid
                                      >> Meier for the Antietam game.
                                      >>
                                      >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
                                      >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

                                      >> even
                                      >> from
                                      >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                                    • Dave
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                        Gerry, I don't disagree. But, for the folks playing the game, they
                                        would have a much better chance of having heard of the Iron Brigade
                                        rather than the 17 MI or equivalent units. They would expect them to
                                        perform far better than other units based on their performance in this
                                        battle, plus Gettysburg and beyond (although that is inaccurate in this
                                        context). They have a more legendary character, you might say. Same
                                        with the Irish Brigade, I would think. Sort of artistic license,
                                        perhaps. But, Sid Meier was and is known for having as much or more
                                        historical accuracy in his games as anyone, while remaining playable.

                                        Dave

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                          Joining this late, have been reading letters to Carman from the NYPL all afternoon. My favorite quote so far today is Heysinger called Capt. Means of the Loudoun Rangers " a damned rebel deserter." Fun stuff.
                                          Dean is absolutely correct, Carman never designated any troops green, blue, or anything else. Remeber he was leading a green regiment there. Sid Meirs bought the typescript of the Carman manuscript from Joe to put in teh game, and the OOB went with it. They ignored all the stuff leading up to the Antietam, which I think is a very interesting portion of the mss. But it did help Joe fund his research & writing. Complicated asthe ANV OOB can be, and it is, the Union OOB portrayed by Carman is much more reflective of the army after the battle than before it. Likely the OOB will not be in Vol. I but when I put it in Vol. II I want to note when units actually joined the AOP. Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke. Up until the 17th Lee had more cavalry than McClellan.

                                          G E Mayers wrote:
                                          > Dear Dave,
                                          >
                                          > "Green" troops is an understandable quantification, since these
                                          > would largely be the nine month and three year units hurriedly
                                          > rushed to the AoP to participate in the campaign. A good and
                                          > historical example of this would be both the Twentieth Maine
                                          > Volunteer Infantry and the Thirteenth New Jersey. A typical nine
                                          > month unit would be either the One-hundred-twenty-eigth
                                          > Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry or the One-hundred-thirtieth
                                          > Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry.
                                          >
                                          > In the trained category, a unit such as the Seventeenth Michigan
                                          > would be placed. It was a green unit but had spent much of the
                                          > summer of 1862 in being properly drilled before being sent to
                                          > join the main Eastern Federal army.
                                          >
                                          > The Iron Brigade did, from what I have read overall, acquit
                                          > itself quite well during the fighting around the West
                                          > Woods-Miller Cornfield sector earlier in the morning of September
                                          > 17th. That is still not to say that some members of the brigade
                                          > did run or retreat, but their combat experience is better than
                                          > that of the green units of the Twelfth Army Corps.

                                        • Dean Essig
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                            On Jan 2, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

                                            > Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke.

                                            By trail and error (using the Supplemental OR) I came to the same
                                            conclusion. Once cut down to the units available and less the ones
                                            being used as provost, you end up with essentially one brigade under
                                            Pleasonton. It is shown that way in my game.

                                            I think the OR/Carmen/everywhere 5-bde organization is the October
                                            one, not the one in place at the battle.

                                            Dean

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
                                              Trying to find numbers of troopers in their saddles isn't easy so I decided to discount the numbers based on numbers mentioned during the campaign.

                                              It has become clear to me why the cav on both sides simply could not do more than it was doing--it lacked the numbers. Both Lee and Mac expected more from their horsemen but I believed they understood why it couldn't do more. Still, I expected more from Stuart than Pleasonton.
                                              Larry

                                              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <d.essig@...> wrote:

                                              > On Jan 2, 2010, at 7:05 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Those five cavalry brigades, as Larry F can tell you, are a joke.
                                              >
                                              > By trail and error (using the Supplemental OR) I came to the same
                                              > conclusion. Once cut down to the units available and less the ones
                                              > being used as provost, you end up with essentially one brigade under
                                              > Pleasonton. It is shown that way in my game.
                                              >
                                              > I think the OR/Carmen/everywhere 5-bde organization is the October
                                              > one, not the one in place at the battle.
                                              >
                                              > Dean

                                            • joseph_pierro
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                                                Lol! This question seems to come up again every six months or so.

                                                Those "color" designmations, as have been explained by others here, were the addition of the GAME DESIGNER. They do not come from Carman.

                                                This whole Table of Organization exercise provides a useful lesson in historical research. If you look in several sources and they all say the same thing, it's probably the correct answer, right?

                                                Well . . . not necessarily. It could be that everyone is simply QUOTING from one another -- or all from the same, initial, FLAWED source.

                                                The ToO in the back of Carman's manuscript -- as is the case with nearly EVERY ToO in EVERY Antietam book, is simply reprinted from the Antietam volume of the OR. (In fact, if you go through Carman's original manuscript, a few of the ToO pages therein aren't even in his handwriting. They're printed pages torn out of a copy of the OR itself.

                                                The ToOs in the OR are not contemporary documents (such as the reports and dispatches). Those were drafetd by the EDITORS decades after the fact. For a battle like Antietam, where the AoP was receiving units as fast as Halleck and the War Department could ship them to meet up with McCellan, the final composition is a bit difficult to pin down on a particular day. Federal cavalry units that arrived in the aftermath of the battle were "counted" as part of the AoP Order of Battle.

                                                --joseph pierro
                                              • joseph_pierro
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                                                  Actually, I should amend what I said before.

                                                  Carman used the OR ToO as the BASIS of the one in his manuscript, but he did make a few corrections. The units are nearly identical, but Carman did take exception to the ORs assigment of one or two regiments (and whether one or two CS batteries should be designated as part of an infantry brigade).

                                                  In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding officers for units than what the OR ToO had.

                                                  So in sum, Carman's ToO is merely a slight tweaking of what was published in the OR. He didn't craft it from scratch. He started with what the OR provided and then made a few corrections whenever he came across something that contradicted what the OR stated, but he never made a comprehensive effort to "proofread" or "factcheck" the OR ToO. Carman's ToO is not THE definitive accounting (if in fact the truth of every unit -- particularly in the AoP -- can ever be known). If the OR ToO contained an error, there's a chance it was carried over into Carman's version. As is true of those in Murfin, Sears, etc. (Sears in particular states quite candidly that he took his ToO from the OR.)

                                                  That, btw, is the standard practice in most every ToO you find in the back of a modern study of a Civil War battle. With rare exceptions (Harsh comes to mind) the author isn't starting from scratch; they're just copying straight from the OR.

                                                  So just because your favorite book on a particular CW battle has a ToO that matches the OR ToO exactly, that DOESN'T necessarily mean that teh information is 100% accurate. It just means your book copied it from the OR.
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                                                    Dear Jake,

                                                    All that makes sense. But what does ToO mean? I gather it means
                                                    the same as OOB but what do the initials stand for?

                                                    <snip>In addition, in a few cases he gave different commanding
                                                    officers for units than what the OR ToO had.
                                                    <snip>
                                                  • joseph_pierro
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 7, 2010
                                                      Table of Organization