Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Pleasonton's Division on the 18th

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 31, 2009
      Thanks, Larry!

      That is a lot more detail than I had unearthed. Your suppositions
      seem correct to me.

      Reoccupying the original encampment (especially at night) makes a
      great deal of sense while going elsewhere "just because" does not,
      especially since they had no specific orders for the 18th.

      If McClellan had some vague idea of a mission for the them on the
      18th that was not written, it would not seem that camping a half a
      mile further NW would prepare them for anything beyond what they
      could do in their old camp.

      That's a great help.

      I have an additional question regarding the movement of Morell after
      being relieved and sent to support IX Corps, but have to work up the
      details so it makes sense. Kicking around the dusty corners of the
      history just after the battle.

      Happy New Year everyone!

      Dean

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
        Matt,

        You are fortunate to have a relative in that unit. Hopefully you have some of his letters or other of his items?

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Matt Reardon <mreardon1862@...> wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > Oh yes it is.  Not only that but my g-g-g grandfather Michael Farley, served in Company G.
        >
        > Matt

      • Matt Reardon
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
          Larry,

          I have nothing.  I've been trying to find a picture of him for quite some time now.  So far no luck. I did find him mentioned in one letter written by Charles Coit of Co. B.  It mentioned him and a bunch of new recruits when they first arrived, when the 8th was at Fredericksburg in August of '62, a few weeks before Antietam.  Antietam was his first actual battle.