Re: Pleasonton's Division on the 18th

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
      Dean,

      Until a real expert replies, here is what I have:

      Carman says that on the evening of the 17th they "returned to the bivouac near Keedysville," 320. Earlier he wrote that they were located "just west of Keedysville," 202; then "his "cavalry division bivouacked on the night of the sixteenth in the west suburbs of Keedysville," 317. Interestingly, Carman-Cope maps show the annotation that the cavalry's location is "approximate only." Crowninshield of the First Massachusetts Cavalry wrote that "The regiment bivouacked in a little piece of woods close on the main road, at a place called Keedysville," 76; later he recalled that "About dark (of the 17th) the cavalry was withdrawn, recrossing the Antietam Creek further to the westward, and it went into bivouac after dark in the old place at Keedysville," 80. Abner Hard of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry wrote that on "September 16th, we remained in the woods a mile or two in advance of Keedysville, and not more than that distance from the enemy's line," 184. He then wrote that that evening his "regiment was marched back half a mile and rested for the night," 186, implying that they did not return to camp the night of the 17th. Likely Pleasonton's cavalry stayed in the same bivouac between Keedysville and McClellan's headquarters at the Pry House from their arrival on the field on the 15th to the 19th when cavalry regiments bivouacked in Sharpsburg, 189, Crowninshield, 81. Perhaps McClellan wanted them to be close to his headquarters but also with quick access to the Keedysville-Williamsport and Sharpsburg-Boonsboro roads.

      Have you come up with anything else?

      Larry

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <d.essig@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone!
      >
      > I know there are several cavalry experts here, so I thought I'd cast
      > a line in the water and see if somebody knew the answer.
      >
      > On the evening of the 17th, Pleasonton reports being relieved at the
      > Middle Bridge area and puling back to Keedysville. Previously (on the
      > 16th) he described his location as "in front of Keedysville."
      >
      > Question is this: on the night of the 17th, did the division return
      > to its encampment of that morning or a bit further back?
      >
      > A minor distinction, true, given the proximity of Keedysville to his
      > encampments, but important for my purposes.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any help!
      >
      > Dean

    • Matt Reardon
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
        In Coffin's report he said he was ordered "200 yards in advance of the column" during the IX Corps assault.

        Did he move ahead and begin firing at the Confederate batteries on Cemetery Hill all alone?

        Or was he supported by the skirmishers of the 100th Pennsylvania?

        Eventually they take up a position on the Otto Farm but the details are vague if he was alone or not.

        I know the 15th SC were there as skirmishers, did they move forward after the 15th SC had been driven back?

        Thanks for any help you can provide,
        Matt

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
          Dear Matt,

          I looked in the Carman battle manuscript for any mention of
          Coffin's section, Eighth Massachusetts. Here is what I found:

          "Welsh had a greater distance to move and over much more
          difficult ground. His brigade preceded by the 100th Pennsylvania
          as skirmishers and supported by Crook's Ohio brigade, went
          forward, the 45th Pennsylvania on the right, 46th New York in the
          center, and 8th Michigan on its left. The 45th Pennsylvania and
          46th New York, swept over the hill in their front, down into the
          ravine and then up the hill to the Otto buildings and apple
          orchard, the 45th Pennsylvania passing either side of the barn.
          On the left, the 8th Michigan, in starting, became involved with
          the 9th New York, a few files going with it, but, swinging to the
          right with its brigade the entire line after a short, sharp
          encounter, assisted by Crook, drove part of the 15th South
          Carolina of Drayton's Brigade, deployed as skirmishers, from a
          stone fence, beyond the ravine, and 130 yards from the Otto barn,
          and then descended into the ravine. Here the troops were somewhat
          crowded and the 45th Pennsylvania moved by the right flank out of
          the ravine, crossed the stone fence from which the 15th South
          Carolina skirmishers had been driven and the entire brigade
          became engaged with these and Jenkins' Brigade, which had taken
          position in the orchard on the slope of Cemetery hill, and with
          McMaster's command, which, driven back by Welsh and Poland had
          rallied in the orchard and occupied the stone house and stone
          mill on the road.

          "Meanwhile a section of Cook's Massachusetts battery under
          Lieutenant J.H. Coffin, was brought forward. The battery had
          crossed the Antietam with Willcox, four
          guns were halted in the road near the bridge, and two under
          Coffin, went forward up the road, Coffin says: "200 yards in
          advance of the column." He went from the
          road, to the left, up the Otto lane and taking position in the
          orchard, near the barn, opened with shell upon the artillery on
          Cemetery hill and upon Jenkins' Brigade and
          McMaster, in the orchard. As we have said in the preceding
          chapter, Squires' two rifled guns, after shelling Willcox's
          advance from the bridge, had been withdrawn,
          because out of ammunition, and Jenkins' Brigade, which was
          suffering (there?), then advanced "some 400 yards in an apple
          orchard, under a heavy fire of artillery and
          small arms." Colonel Joseph Walker, commanding the brigade, threw
          out the 1st, 5th and 6th South Carolina and engaged Christ on his
          left, and the Palmetto
          Sharpshooters and 2nd South Carolina Rifles in front and to the
          right to meet Welsh and "from this position," says Walker, "we
          continued to pour a destructive fire
          into the ranks of the enemy, a short range."

          "Garden's South Carolina battery of 12-pounders, which had been
          placed east of the road, just north of the stone house, in full
          view of the long range guns beyond the
          Antietam, came under their accurate and destructive fire that
          they could not return, but opened upon Willcox's infantry as it
          crossed the bridge and during its advance
          up the road, over the hill, and while ascending the elevation on
          which the battery was posted. Garden's ammunition had now run
          out; Lieutenant S.M. Pringle had been mortally wounded, several
          men wounded and many horses killed, one of his guns dismounted,
          the carriage being entirely destroyed, another rendered useless
          by the bursting of a shell, and the remaining guns were run down
          the hill by hand to a ravine in the rear, the disabled guns were
          then hauled off, the horses attached, and the entire battery
          entering the road, one gun with out wheels, but dragging the
          ground, went through Sharpsburg, barely escaping the men of
          Welsh's Brigade, who had now reached Avey's orchard, almost in
          its rear, and some of whom were running forward to the street
          down which it retired."

          From the above, it seems clear to me that Coffin's section was
          posted on the Otto farm not really anywhere near Cemetery Hill,
          but did open fire on Confederate artillery found there. From the
          above, it appears there is no tie in to the Fifteenth South
          Carolina contesting Coffin's advance or opposing it. It sounds to
          me as if the Fifteenth South Carolina, according to Carman, had
          already left that portion of the field when Coffin advanced his
          guns.

          I hope this helps?

          BTW, here is the relevant link to the Carman battle manuscript
          about the Sharpsburg fight:
          http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/carman.html
          Just click on the link "Manuscript" in the left hand form of the
          webpage to download the pdf file of the Antietam Manuscript; you
          can then save to your computer as a pdf file.

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 31, 2009
            Thanks, Larry!

            That is a lot more detail than I had unearthed. Your suppositions
            seem correct to me.

            Reoccupying the original encampment (especially at night) makes a
            great deal of sense while going elsewhere "just because" does not,
            especially since they had no specific orders for the 18th.

            If McClellan had some vague idea of a mission for the them on the
            18th that was not written, it would not seem that camping a half a
            mile further NW would prepare them for anything beyond what they
            could do in their old camp.

            That's a great help.

            I have an additional question regarding the movement of Morell after
            being relieved and sent to support IX Corps, but have to work up the
            details so it makes sense. Kicking around the dusty corners of the
            history just after the battle.

            Happy New Year everyone!

            Dean

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
              Matt,

              You are fortunate to have a relative in that unit. Hopefully you have some of his letters or other of his items?

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Matt Reardon <mreardon1862@...> wrote:

              > Larry,
              >
              > Oh yes it is.  Not only that but my g-g-g grandfather Michael Farley, served in Company G.
              >
              > Matt

            • Matt Reardon
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
                Larry,

                I have nothing.  I've been trying to find a picture of him for quite some time now.  So far no luck. I did find him mentioned in one letter written by Charles Coit of Co. B.  It mentioned him and a bunch of new recruits when they first arrived, when the 8th was at Fredericksburg in August of '62, a few weeks before Antietam.  Antietam was his first actual battle.