Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Civil War History Journal

  • Robert Moore
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 29, 2009
      Larry,

      I'd be happy to look it over. Newcomer is a primary reference, but there are gaps in his history. Not surprisingly, he focused more from his personal perspective of events than from the perspective of the full battalion (and later the regiment).

      Were you aware that Cole only had three companies at HF? Co. B was still operating independently.

      By the way, there is a masters thesis out there about Cole's Cav. written by a student from Shippensburg State. I have yet to acquire a copy, so I can't account for it's value as a history.

      Robert

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 29, 2009
        Larry,

        Oh yes it is.  Not only that but my g-g-g grandfather Michael Farley, served in Company G.

        Matt
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 29, 2009
          Thanks Robert,

          I was aware about the 4th company when I believe that you told Don C. or Brian D. about the missing company.

          Thanks for the lead on the masters thesis; they are not usually on Proquest so I may have to contact Shippensburg library. Do you know if their library has a copy?

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 29, 2009
            Their library does have a copy but they are on their semester break.

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 29, 2009
              Larry,
              I have found some good letters from Heysinger, who was with the 7
              Squadron RI Cav, and also born & raised near Sharpsburg. He is adamant
              about the route taken by the cavarly. I'll be happy to share with you.
              Tom

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009

                I would like to see them or get copies. Let me know how we could do this.

                I've read on Google Books his book, Isaac W. Heysinger, "Antietam and the Maryland and Virginia Campaigns of 1862," (New York: The Neale Publishing Company, 1912, but his letters may have different materials. Here is the Google link, his account of the escape begins on page 160. From reading all the comments about where the escape column veered from the Hagerstown Pike, I think it was well before Jones's Cross Roads perhaps even before the Dunker Church.

                http://books.google.com/books?id=vxlFAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Antietam+and+the+Maryland+and+Virginia+Campaigns+of+1862&cd=1#v=snippet&q=davis&f=false

                On this point, here is what I have so far in my draft (format didn't copy well):

                At the edge of Sharpsburg on the Harpers Ferry Road, John Shay who resided in a house there recalled that the troopers asked for water "and he carried many buckets full to them. Finally the bucket was let fall and the next morning he found it at the Public Square where the horses had kicked it." The escaping troopers halted in Sharpsburg to allow the column to close up and to rest the horses. Citizens warned that Rebel forces were in the area with some in town as the Confederate army was then retreating from South Mountain; officers sent scouts out to the north towards Keedysville on the Boonsboro Turnpike to investigate. They quickly found Rebel pickets after being fired on from a hill just outside of town near the old Lutheran Church. A participant, Lt. William M. Luff who commanded a company in the 12th Illinois Cavalry, described the column's encounter:
                A charge was ordered and promptly executed, driving the pickets and their reserve into and through the principal street of Sharpsburg on the road toward Hagerstown. Here the command was moving slowly northward, when the darkness was suddenly illumined by a sheet of flame, and the stillness broken by a rattling volley of musketry. The discharge was harmless, but it was evident that the enemy was present in considerable force, as the commotion in their camp, the commands of their officers, and the rumbling of artillery wheels could be distinctly heard. A citizen also informed an officer of the Eighth New York that the column was "going right into Lee s army."
                A hurried consultation was held between the officers and guides, and it was decided to turn back and try another road. The movement was quickly executed, the Twelfth Illinois, guided by Noakes, taking the advance, and leaving Sharpsburg by a road running to the left, or westward, toward Falling Waters on the Potomac.
                We were not going anywhere in particular, and it was hoped the country in this direction would prove more open and unobstructed, and better "adapted to manoeuvring cavalry," than that toward Hagerstown.
                The enemy had now gotten their artillery in position, and sent a few shells after us as we moved out of the village. It was necessary to avoid the main roads, which were in possession of the enemy; but Noakes, who was familiar with every foot of ground in the neighborhood, found a circuitous path through lanes and by-roads, woods and fields. So the column marched steadily and silently, threading its way between the camps of the sleeping foe, until it emerged at a point on the Hagerstown and Williamsport turnpike about two miles from Williamsport.

                Another participant, Corp. Isaac W. Heysinger with Co. B of the 7th Rhode Island Cavalry, also described this incident and wrote that the column having reformed in Sharpsburg, its leaders decided to take the Hagerstown Turnpike north but had to veer off to the west beyond Sharpsburg but before Jones's cross-roads using farm lanes and fields closer to the Potomac away from the retreating Confederates who were reported to be in Hagerstown. Carman accepted the Luff version which was buttressed by the report of Col. Voss. Voss, the leader of the column, who wrote that his scouts were sent out heading north on Sharpsburg's main street
                when suddenly a sheet of flame illumined the darkness for an instant, followed by the report of at least a hundred rifles sending their leaden messengers about our ears. This came from a strong outpost placed at the entrance of the Hagerstown road into the city of Sharpsburg, not more than one hundred and fifty paces ahead of us, furnishing the most conclusive proof that the rebels were in strong force in that direction. Before allowing the alarm to spread, the head of the column was turned in another direction, toward Falling Waters, on the Potomac, to find, if possible, a weaker point to pierce their lines. On the road thither only a few pickets were encountered. Here I ascertained from a friendly chat which my guides had with some mill-hands at work in a large flouring mill, the exact strength and location of the rebels thereabouts, and determined to make the break there. By this time a bright starlight had succeeded the impenetrable gloom of the early night, enabling us to discern surrounding object more distinctly. We were also guided in choosing our path by the faint glimmer of their bivouac fires. The column was gathered close in hand, the order to charge given, and my brave fellows, fully comprehending the importance of the movement, dashed gallantly through the bivouac of the astonished grey-coats, riding and cutting down all opposition. But few of the enemy recovered from their surprise in time to send a shot or a volley into this strange apparition, which seemed dropped from the clouds, and so we escaped comparatively harmless. We came out near St. James' College, and after drawing reins a while to blow our horses, the column entered the woods skirting the turnpike between Williamsport and Hagerstown, taking up our line of march towards the border of Pennsylvania.

                Most of the creditable accounts agree that sooner or later the column left the Sharpsburg-Hagerstown Pike but disagree at the point this happened. Voss wrote that Rebels were at the entrance to the pike in the town so apparently the column did not even get on the pike there. Other accounts relate that the column did begin on the pike but had to divert from it as pickets were encountered as Heysinger relates. Regardless, the column did end up using farm lanes and fields to the west of the pike as they continued north to Pennsylvania, the exact route will likely never be known given the darkness and the many farm lanes and paths between Sharpsburg and Williamsport.

                > Larry,
                > I have found some good letters from Heysinger, who was with the 7
                > Squadron RI Cav, and also born & raised near Sharpsburg. He is adamant
                > about the route taken by the cavarly. I'll be happy to share with you.
                > Tom

              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
                  Hi Everyone!

                  I know there are several cavalry experts here, so I thought I'd cast
                  a line in the water and see if somebody knew the answer.

                  On the evening of the 17th, Pleasonton reports being relieved at the
                  Middle Bridge area and puling back to Keedysville. Previously (on the
                  16th) he described his location as "in front of Keedysville."

                  Question is this: on the night of the 17th, did the division return
                  to its encampment of that morning or a bit further back?

                  A minor distinction, true, given the proximity of Keedysville to his
                  encampments, but important for my purposes.

                  Thanks in advance for any help!

                  Dean
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
                    Dean,

                    Until a real expert replies, here is what I have:

                    Carman says that on the evening of the 17th they "returned to the bivouac near Keedysville," 320. Earlier he wrote that they were located "just west of Keedysville," 202; then "his "cavalry division bivouacked on the night of the sixteenth in the west suburbs of Keedysville," 317. Interestingly, Carman-Cope maps show the annotation that the cavalry's location is "approximate only." Crowninshield of the First Massachusetts Cavalry wrote that "The regiment bivouacked in a little piece of woods close on the main road, at a place called Keedysville," 76; later he recalled that "About dark (of the 17th) the cavalry was withdrawn, recrossing the Antietam Creek further to the westward, and it went into bivouac after dark in the old place at Keedysville," 80. Abner Hard of the Eighth Illinois Cavalry wrote that on "September 16th, we remained in the woods a mile or two in advance of Keedysville, and not more than that distance from the enemy's line," 184. He then wrote that that evening his "regiment was marched back half a mile and rested for the night," 186, implying that they did not return to camp the night of the 17th. Likely Pleasonton's cavalry stayed in the same bivouac between Keedysville and McClellan's headquarters at the Pry House from their arrival on the field on the 15th to the 19th when cavalry regiments bivouacked in Sharpsburg, 189, Crowninshield, 81. Perhaps McClellan wanted them to be close to his headquarters but also with quick access to the Keedysville-Williamsport and Sharpsburg-Boonsboro roads.

                    Have you come up with anything else?

                    Larry

                    --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dean Essig <d.essig@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone!
                    >
                    > I know there are several cavalry experts here, so I thought I'd cast
                    > a line in the water and see if somebody knew the answer.
                    >
                    > On the evening of the 17th, Pleasonton reports being relieved at the
                    > Middle Bridge area and puling back to Keedysville. Previously (on the
                    > 16th) he described his location as "in front of Keedysville."
                    >
                    > Question is this: on the night of the 17th, did the division return
                    > to its encampment of that morning or a bit further back?
                    >
                    > A minor distinction, true, given the proximity of Keedysville to his
                    > encampments, but important for my purposes.
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance for any help!
                    >
                    > Dean

                  • Matt Reardon
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
                      In Coffin's report he said he was ordered "200 yards in advance of the column" during the IX Corps assault.

                      Did he move ahead and begin firing at the Confederate batteries on Cemetery Hill all alone?

                      Or was he supported by the skirmishers of the 100th Pennsylvania?

                      Eventually they take up a position on the Otto Farm but the details are vague if he was alone or not.

                      I know the 15th SC were there as skirmishers, did they move forward after the 15th SC had been driven back?

                      Thanks for any help you can provide,
                      Matt

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 30, 2009
                        Dear Matt,

                        I looked in the Carman battle manuscript for any mention of
                        Coffin's section, Eighth Massachusetts. Here is what I found:

                        "Welsh had a greater distance to move and over much more
                        difficult ground. His brigade preceded by the 100th Pennsylvania
                        as skirmishers and supported by Crook's Ohio brigade, went
                        forward, the 45th Pennsylvania on the right, 46th New York in the
                        center, and 8th Michigan on its left. The 45th Pennsylvania and
                        46th New York, swept over the hill in their front, down into the
                        ravine and then up the hill to the Otto buildings and apple
                        orchard, the 45th Pennsylvania passing either side of the barn.
                        On the left, the 8th Michigan, in starting, became involved with
                        the 9th New York, a few files going with it, but, swinging to the
                        right with its brigade the entire line after a short, sharp
                        encounter, assisted by Crook, drove part of the 15th South
                        Carolina of Drayton's Brigade, deployed as skirmishers, from a
                        stone fence, beyond the ravine, and 130 yards from the Otto barn,
                        and then descended into the ravine. Here the troops were somewhat
                        crowded and the 45th Pennsylvania moved by the right flank out of
                        the ravine, crossed the stone fence from which the 15th South
                        Carolina skirmishers had been driven and the entire brigade
                        became engaged with these and Jenkins' Brigade, which had taken
                        position in the orchard on the slope of Cemetery hill, and with
                        McMaster's command, which, driven back by Welsh and Poland had
                        rallied in the orchard and occupied the stone house and stone
                        mill on the road.

                        "Meanwhile a section of Cook's Massachusetts battery under
                        Lieutenant J.H. Coffin, was brought forward. The battery had
                        crossed the Antietam with Willcox, four
                        guns were halted in the road near the bridge, and two under
                        Coffin, went forward up the road, Coffin says: "200 yards in
                        advance of the column." He went from the
                        road, to the left, up the Otto lane and taking position in the
                        orchard, near the barn, opened with shell upon the artillery on
                        Cemetery hill and upon Jenkins' Brigade and
                        McMaster, in the orchard. As we have said in the preceding
                        chapter, Squires' two rifled guns, after shelling Willcox's
                        advance from the bridge, had been withdrawn,
                        because out of ammunition, and Jenkins' Brigade, which was
                        suffering (there?), then advanced "some 400 yards in an apple
                        orchard, under a heavy fire of artillery and
                        small arms." Colonel Joseph Walker, commanding the brigade, threw
                        out the 1st, 5th and 6th South Carolina and engaged Christ on his
                        left, and the Palmetto
                        Sharpshooters and 2nd South Carolina Rifles in front and to the
                        right to meet Welsh and "from this position," says Walker, "we
                        continued to pour a destructive fire
                        into the ranks of the enemy, a short range."

                        "Garden's South Carolina battery of 12-pounders, which had been
                        placed east of the road, just north of the stone house, in full
                        view of the long range guns beyond the
                        Antietam, came under their accurate and destructive fire that
                        they could not return, but opened upon Willcox's infantry as it
                        crossed the bridge and during its advance
                        up the road, over the hill, and while ascending the elevation on
                        which the battery was posted. Garden's ammunition had now run
                        out; Lieutenant S.M. Pringle had been mortally wounded, several
                        men wounded and many horses killed, one of his guns dismounted,
                        the carriage being entirely destroyed, another rendered useless
                        by the bursting of a shell, and the remaining guns were run down
                        the hill by hand to a ravine in the rear, the disabled guns were
                        then hauled off, the horses attached, and the entire battery
                        entering the road, one gun with out wheels, but dragging the
                        ground, went through Sharpsburg, barely escaping the men of
                        Welsh's Brigade, who had now reached Avey's orchard, almost in
                        its rear, and some of whom were running forward to the street
                        down which it retired."

                        From the above, it seems clear to me that Coffin's section was
                        posted on the Otto farm not really anywhere near Cemetery Hill,
                        but did open fire on Confederate artillery found there. From the
                        above, it appears there is no tie in to the Fifteenth South
                        Carolina contesting Coffin's advance or opposing it. It sounds to
                        me as if the Fifteenth South Carolina, according to Carman, had
                        already left that portion of the field when Coffin advanced his
                        guns.

                        I hope this helps?

                        BTW, here is the relevant link to the Carman battle manuscript
                        about the Sharpsburg fight:
                        http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/carman.html
                        Just click on the link "Manuscript" in the left hand form of the
                        webpage to download the pdf file of the Antietam Manuscript; you
                        can then save to your computer as a pdf file.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 31, 2009
                          Thanks, Larry!

                          That is a lot more detail than I had unearthed. Your suppositions
                          seem correct to me.

                          Reoccupying the original encampment (especially at night) makes a
                          great deal of sense while going elsewhere "just because" does not,
                          especially since they had no specific orders for the 18th.

                          If McClellan had some vague idea of a mission for the them on the
                          18th that was not written, it would not seem that camping a half a
                          mile further NW would prepare them for anything beyond what they
                          could do in their old camp.

                          That's a great help.

                          I have an additional question regarding the movement of Morell after
                          being relieved and sent to support IX Corps, but have to work up the
                          details so it makes sense. Kicking around the dusty corners of the
                          history just after the battle.

                          Happy New Year everyone!

                          Dean

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
                            Matt,

                            You are fortunate to have a relative in that unit. Hopefully you have some of his letters or other of his items?

                          • Matt Reardon
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 1, 2010
                              Larry,

                              I have nothing.  I've been trying to find a picture of him for quite some time now.  So far no luck. I did find him mentioned in one letter written by Charles Coit of Co. B.  It mentioned him and a bunch of new recruits when they first arrived, when the 8th was at Fredericksburg in August of '62, a few weeks before Antietam.  Antietam was his first actual battle.