Happy Thanksgiving

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2009
      October 3, 1863
      The last paragraph of the Proclamation for a Day of Thanksgiving

      I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United
      States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in
      foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November
      next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who
      dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up
      the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and
      blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national
      perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who
      have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable
      civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore
      the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation
      and restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to
      the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
      Abraham Lincoln

      I also second Gerry's thoughts. Along those lines, Bobby Housch has
      prepared an excellent article for today on Gettysburg Daily
      <http://www.gettysburgdaily.com/> that really hit home with me.

      Dave McGowan
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
        In preparing for a tour I'm giving next week, I've been reading Unfurl
        Those Colors, Chapter 10. Vince has an interesting take on the
        mediation of McClellan between Franklin and Sumner on whether or not to
        renew an attack against the Confederate left on the afternoon of the
        17th. Vince has Sumner a little more excited about an attack than I
        remember.

        Anyone have thoughts about this? Any recommendations for other versions
        of this. I plan to check out Franklin in Battles and Leaders, then
        McClellan's War, then Carman...after I have a turkey sandwich, of
        course.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
          Dear Stephen,

          Re Carman... I think maybe I can save you the trouble, as the
          following is from Carman's Battle History:

          Walker, in his "History of the Second Army Corps" says: "It is
          easy to criticize Sumner's dispositions at Antietam--the
          dangerous massing of Sedgwick's brigades, the exposure of the
          flank of the charging column, the failure of the commander to
          supervise and direct, from some central point, all the operations
          of the corps; yet no one who saw him there, hat in hand, his
          white hair streaming in the wind, riding abreast of the field
          officers of the foremost line, close up against the rocky ledges
          bursting with the deadly flames of Jackson's volleys, could ever
          fail thereafter to understand the furious thrust with which a
          column of the Second Corps always struck the enemy, or the
          splendid intrepidity with which its brigade and division
          commanders were wont to ride through the thickest of the fight as
          callously as on parade." All this is conceded, yet the fact
          remains that these splendid troops of the Second Corps were much
          disorganized and many of them sadly demoralized when they fell
          back, and, unfortunately, that partial demoralization extended to
          their commanders. We again quote Walker: "If it is not a
          profanation to say such a thing about Edwin
          V. Sumner, he had lost courage; not the courage which would have
          borne him up a ravine swept by canister at the head of the old
          First Dragoons, but the courage which, in the crush and clamor of
          action, amid disaster and repulse, enables the commander to
          coolly calculate the chances of success or failure. He was
          heartbroken at the terrible fate of the splendid division on
          which he had so much relied, which he had deemed invincible, and
          his proximity to the disaster had been so close as to convey a
          shock from which he had not recovered." Nor had he recovered from
          this shock an hour or more later when Franklin came up. . . .

          Franklin, Slocum, and Smith were considering a charge upon the
          woods at the church. Newton's and Torbett's (i.e., Torbert's)
          brigades had come up and been formed beyond the woods and
          Bartlett's arrival was awaited to form a reserve, when it was
          found that Sumner had retained Bartlett to strengthen his own
          right, in place of Brooks', whom he had sent to Franklin. General
          Franklin says: "Immediately after its (Slocum's) arrival two of
          his brigades (Newton's and Torbert's) were formed in column, to
          carry the wood in the immediate vicinity of the white church. The
          other brigade (Bartlett's) had been ordered by General Sumner to
          keep near his right. As this brigade was to form the reserve for
          the column of attack, I waited until it came up. About the same
          time General
          Sumner arrived on the spot, and directed the attack to be
          postponed.... Shortly afterward the commanding general came to
          the position and decided that it would not be prudent to make the
          attack, our position on the right then being considerably in
          advance of what it had been in the morning."

          In the "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" (Vol.II, p. 597)
          Franklin writes: "While awaiting the arrival of Slocum, I went to
          the right, held by Sumner. I found him at the head of his troops,
          but much depressed. He told me that his whole corps was exhausted
          and could do nothing more that day.... About 300 yards in its
          front, across an open field, was a wood...strongly held by the
          enemy. The corps had been driven back from an attack on this wood
          with great loss. When General Slocum arrived I placed two
          brigades of his division on General Sumner's left and was
          awaiting the arrival of his third brigade, which was to be in
          reserve. With the two
          brigades I intended to make an attack on the woods referred to,
          and General Sumner was informed of my intention. The two brigades
          were ready to move. Just as the third brigade arrived, General
          Sumner rode up and directed me not to make the attack, giving as
          a reason for his order, that if I were defeated the right would
          be entirely routed, mine being the only troops left on the right
          that had any life in them. Major Hammerstein, of McClellan's
          staff, was near, and I requested him to inform General McClellan
          of the state of affairs, and that I thought the attack ought to
          be made. Shortly afterward McClellan rode up, and, after hearing
          the statements of Sumner and myself, decided that as the day had
          gone so well on the other parts of the line it would be unsafe to
          risk anything on the right. Of course, no advance was made by the
          division."

          Palfrey says: "Wisely or unwisely, Sumner paralyzed the action of
          Franklin's Corps, first detaching from Smith and then from
          Slocum." But the responsibility rested upon McClellan for staying
          Franklin's advance. There was yet time to make it when he came
          upon this part of the field. He says: "Toward the middle of the
          afternoon, proceeding to the right, I found that Sumner's,
          Hooker's and Mansfield's Corps had met with serious losses.
          Several general officers had been carried from the field severely
          wounded, and the aspect of affairs was anything but promising. At
          the risk of greatly exposing our center, I ordered two brigades
          from Porter's Corps to reinforce the right. General Sumner
          expressed the most decided opinion against another attempt during
          that day to assault the enemy's position in front, as portions of
          our troops were so scattered and demoralized. In view of these
          circumstances, after making changes in position of some of the
          troops, I directed the different commanders to hold their
          positions, and, being satisfied that this could be done without
          the assistance of the two brigades from the center, I
          countermanded the order, which was in course of execution."

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
            Thanks!

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2009
              Dear Stephen,

              Not sure if it answered your question viz Armstrong, but hope it
              did help!

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 22, 2012
                Subject: Happy Thanksgiving

                Happy Thanksgiving to you Antietam ers and your Family on this great American Holiday !!

                May your stuffing be tasty
                May your turkey plump,
                May your potatoes and gravy
                Have never a lump.