Re: [TalkAntietam] A soldier on Mac/9 month regiments

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2002
      Paula,

      Maybe I am incorrect and you are correct? But if it was not a PA
      unit, perhaps it might have been a unit from one of the other
      states. But I do seem to recall a nine month unit refusing to
      serve at Chancellorsville due to their enlistments expiring, and
      being made to fight anyways.....

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 12:06 PM
        In a message dated 3/31/02 10:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

        Gen. Gibbon appealed to their patriotism and then told them he would not hesitate to give the order to fire. The men returned to their posts. Gibbon had Sully relieved but a court of inquiry reversed Gibbon's decision. However Sully was banished to the Dakotas. Shades of the 2nd Maine at Gettysburg, no?

        Teej:

        I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.

        Thanks,

        Paula
      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 2:36 PM

          Paula wrote:

          Teej:

          I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.
          Paula,
              Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.
          Teej

        • Pa128th@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 2:41 PM
            In a message dated 4/1/02 5:39:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

            Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.

            Well Teej, I give tours at Laurel Hill, but I couldn't remember if he was there or the other Cemetery near there - St James the Less, which has some CW folks.  For some reason, I thought he was in St. James.  I need to check out Sully.

            Thanks,

            Paula