Re: [TalkAntietam] 9th NY & 8th CT

  • Matt Reardon
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
      Thanks everyone.

      I have tried to contact the NPS, never got a response back.  I also went to Post #5938, linked there was a book about the US Signal Corps.

      My next question probably won't have an answer.  Why does the NPS continue to tell people that the 9th NY advanced the farthest at that point when we all know they didn't?  And why do they get their monument on the park guide map?

      Why is one units monument better than any of the others?

      Just a little side note.  My interest in these monuments stems from my relation with the 8th Connecticut.  It was my g-g-g grandfathers first battle.  He served in Co. G.

      Thanks again,
      Matt

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
        Dear Matt,

        First off, NPS at Antietam NBP does not answer emails
        immediately. It may take a few days for the staff there to do
        so.If you sent the email to the general email address, then it
        has to get to the proper ranger there to read, look at
        information etc and respond.

        As to your comment about the 8th CT and the 9th NY.... I think
        NPS is correct that the 9th NY did indeed go the furthest
        _towards_ Sharpsburg on that part of the field than any other US
        unit. However, according to the Carman map for 4.20 pm, the 8th
        CT went the furthest of any US unit due west in the IX Corps
        advance.

        If you would like to have confirmation, check this link which is
        the appropriate time frame map from the Carman-Cope maps of the
        battle, done under supervision of Ezra Cope who not only fought
        at Sharpsburg but was, after the war, the head of the battlefield
        board and wrote a manuscript about the campaign and the battle
        which is pretty much accepted as "the" participant account.
        Carman wrote to veterans of both sides and was very meticulous in
        obtaining information of various phases of the action from US and
        CS veterans, their unit positions, etc.

        Link:
        http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=cwmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0248000/ct_browse.db&recNum=12&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3842am+gcw0248000%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29&linkText=0&title2=Atlas%20of%20the%20battlefield%20of%20Antietam,%20prepared%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Antietam%20Battlefield%20Board,%20lieut.%20col.%20Geo.%20W.%20Davis,%20U.S.A.,%20president,%20gen.%20E.A.%20Carman,%20U.S.V.,%20gen.%20H%20Heth,%20C.S.A.%20Surveyed%20by%20lieut.%20col.%20E.B.%20Cope,%20engineer,%20H.W.%20Mattern,%20assistant%20engineer,%20of%20the%20Gettysburg%20National%20Park.%20Drawn%20by%20Charles%20H.%20Ourand,%201899.%20Position%20of%20troops%20by%20gen.%20E.%20A.%20Carman.%20%20Published%20by%20authority%20of%20the%20Secretary%20of%20War,%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Chief%20of%20Engineers,%20U.S.%20Army,%201908.&displayType=3&maxCols=3

        Click on the map for 4.20 pm and then zoom into the area south
        and slightly west of Sharpsburg for greater clarity.

        Hope this helps. Also might be good idea for you sometime to
        actually stomp the ground the 8th CT advanced over as well.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
          Matt, here is the link to Trail's dissertation, from Larry's post #5874
          (it is a direct download link):

          http://www.lib.umd.edu/drum/bitstream/1903/2353/1/umi-umd-2211.pdf

          I think it will answer a lot of questions, it sure did for me.

          Dave McGowan