Re: [TalkAntietam] 9th NY & 8th CT

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
      Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
      dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
      like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
      dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
      the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
      buying property in the wrong place.

      Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
      section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.

      Dave McGowan

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
        See message #5938 for the link to her dissertation.

        > Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
        > dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
        > like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
        > dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
        > the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
        > buying property in the wrong place.
        >
        > Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
        > section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.
        >
        > Dave McGowan
        >

        > Matt Reardon wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I've been doing a lot of research into the IX Corps attack late in the
        > > day. After visiting Antietam a few months ago, I saw that the 8th CT
        > > and 9th NY monuments are very close to each other. Each claiming that
        > > this was the point to which they advanced to. Now I know that the 8th
        > > CT and 9th NY never fought this close together. The 8th CT advanced
        > > towards the Harper's Ferry Rd and the 9th NY wheeled towards
        > > Sharpsburg. Is there any reason why these two monuments are where they
        > > are?
        > >
        > > Thanks for any help,
        > >
        > > Matt

      • Matt Reardon
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
          Thanks everyone.

          I have tried to contact the NPS, never got a response back.  I also went to Post #5938, linked there was a book about the US Signal Corps.

          My next question probably won't have an answer.  Why does the NPS continue to tell people that the 9th NY advanced the farthest at that point when we all know they didn't?  And why do they get their monument on the park guide map?

          Why is one units monument better than any of the others?

          Just a little side note.  My interest in these monuments stems from my relation with the 8th Connecticut.  It was my g-g-g grandfathers first battle.  He served in Co. G.

          Thanks again,
          Matt

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
            Dear Matt,

            First off, NPS at Antietam NBP does not answer emails
            immediately. It may take a few days for the staff there to do
            so.If you sent the email to the general email address, then it
            has to get to the proper ranger there to read, look at
            information etc and respond.

            As to your comment about the 8th CT and the 9th NY.... I think
            NPS is correct that the 9th NY did indeed go the furthest
            _towards_ Sharpsburg on that part of the field than any other US
            unit. However, according to the Carman map for 4.20 pm, the 8th
            CT went the furthest of any US unit due west in the IX Corps
            advance.

            If you would like to have confirmation, check this link which is
            the appropriate time frame map from the Carman-Cope maps of the
            battle, done under supervision of Ezra Cope who not only fought
            at Sharpsburg but was, after the war, the head of the battlefield
            board and wrote a manuscript about the campaign and the battle
            which is pretty much accepted as "the" participant account.
            Carman wrote to veterans of both sides and was very meticulous in
            obtaining information of various phases of the action from US and
            CS veterans, their unit positions, etc.

            Link:
            http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=cwmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0248000/ct_browse.db&recNum=12&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3842am+gcw0248000%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29&linkText=0&title2=Atlas%20of%20the%20battlefield%20of%20Antietam,%20prepared%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Antietam%20Battlefield%20Board,%20lieut.%20col.%20Geo.%20W.%20Davis,%20U.S.A.,%20president,%20gen.%20E.A.%20Carman,%20U.S.V.,%20gen.%20H%20Heth,%20C.S.A.%20Surveyed%20by%20lieut.%20col.%20E.B.%20Cope,%20engineer,%20H.W.%20Mattern,%20assistant%20engineer,%20of%20the%20Gettysburg%20National%20Park.%20Drawn%20by%20Charles%20H.%20Ourand,%201899.%20Position%20of%20troops%20by%20gen.%20E.%20A.%20Carman.%20%20Published%20by%20authority%20of%20the%20Secretary%20of%20War,%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Chief%20of%20Engineers,%20U.S.%20Army,%201908.&displayType=3&maxCols=3

            Click on the map for 4.20 pm and then zoom into the area south
            and slightly west of Sharpsburg for greater clarity.

            Hope this helps. Also might be good idea for you sometime to
            actually stomp the ground the 8th CT advanced over as well.

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
              Matt, here is the link to Trail's dissertation, from Larry's post #5874
              (it is a direct download link):

              http://www.lib.umd.edu/drum/bitstream/1903/2353/1/umi-umd-2211.pdf

              I think it will answer a lot of questions, it sure did for me.

              Dave McGowan