Re: [TalkAntietam] 9th NY & 8th CT

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
      Matt;

      You might want to contact Antietam NBP for that one. Or go to
      www.nps.gov/anti and see if you can find out anything that way.

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
        Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
        dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
        like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
        dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
        the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
        buying property in the wrong place.

        Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
        section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.

        Dave McGowan

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
          See message #5938 for the link to her dissertation.

          > Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
          > dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
          > like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
          > dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
          > the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
          > buying property in the wrong place.
          >
          > Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
          > section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.
          >
          > Dave McGowan
          >

          > Matt Reardon wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I've been doing a lot of research into the IX Corps attack late in the
          > > day. After visiting Antietam a few months ago, I saw that the 8th CT
          > > and 9th NY monuments are very close to each other. Each claiming that
          > > this was the point to which they advanced to. Now I know that the 8th
          > > CT and 9th NY never fought this close together. The 8th CT advanced
          > > towards the Harper's Ferry Rd and the 9th NY wheeled towards
          > > Sharpsburg. Is there any reason why these two monuments are where they
          > > are?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help,
          > >
          > > Matt

        • Matt Reardon
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
            Thanks everyone.

            I have tried to contact the NPS, never got a response back.  I also went to Post #5938, linked there was a book about the US Signal Corps.

            My next question probably won't have an answer.  Why does the NPS continue to tell people that the 9th NY advanced the farthest at that point when we all know they didn't?  And why do they get their monument on the park guide map?

            Why is one units monument better than any of the others?

            Just a little side note.  My interest in these monuments stems from my relation with the 8th Connecticut.  It was my g-g-g grandfathers first battle.  He served in Co. G.

            Thanks again,

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
              Dear Matt,

              First off, NPS at Antietam NBP does not answer emails
              immediately. It may take a few days for the staff there to do
              so.If you sent the email to the general email address, then it
              has to get to the proper ranger there to read, look at
              information etc and respond.

              As to your comment about the 8th CT and the 9th NY.... I think
              NPS is correct that the 9th NY did indeed go the furthest
              _towards_ Sharpsburg on that part of the field than any other US
              unit. However, according to the Carman map for 4.20 pm, the 8th
              CT went the furthest of any US unit due west in the IX Corps
              advance.

              If you would like to have confirmation, check this link which is
              the appropriate time frame map from the Carman-Cope maps of the
              battle, done under supervision of Ezra Cope who not only fought
              at Sharpsburg but was, after the war, the head of the battlefield
              board and wrote a manuscript about the campaign and the battle
              which is pretty much accepted as "the" participant account.
              Carman wrote to veterans of both sides and was very meticulous in
              obtaining information of various phases of the action from US and
              CS veterans, their unit positions, etc.

              Link:
              http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=cwmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0248000/ct_browse.db&recNum=12&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3842am+gcw0248000%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29&linkText=0&title2=Atlas%20of%20the%20battlefield%20of%20Antietam,%20prepared%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Antietam%20Battlefield%20Board,%20lieut.%20col.%20Geo.%20W.%20Davis,%20U.S.A.,%20president,%20gen.%20E.A.%20Carman,%20U.S.V.,%20gen.%20H%20Heth,%20C.S.A.%20Surveyed%20by%20lieut.%20col.%20E.B.%20Cope,%20engineer,%20H.W.%20Mattern,%20assistant%20engineer,%20of%20the%20Gettysburg%20National%20Park.%20Drawn%20by%20Charles%20H.%20Ourand,%201899.%20Position%20of%20troops%20by%20gen.%20E.%20A.%20Carman.%20%20Published%20by%20authority%20of%20the%20Secretary%20of%20War,%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Chief%20of%20Engineers,%20U.S.%20Army,%201908.&displayType=3&maxCols=3

              Click on the map for 4.20 pm and then zoom into the area south
              and slightly west of Sharpsburg for greater clarity.

              Hope this helps. Also might be good idea for you sometime to
              actually stomp the ground the 8th CT advanced over as well.

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
                Matt, here is the link to Trail's dissertation, from Larry's post #5874
                (it is a direct download link):

                http://www.lib.umd.edu/drum/bitstream/1903/2353/1/umi-umd-2211.pdf

                I think it will answer a lot of questions, it sure did for me.

                Dave McGowan