RE: [TalkAntietam] introduction

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
      As everyone knows, the Confederates consisted of Robert E. Lee and a
      one-armed orderly, arrayed against 750,000 fresh, well trained, and battle
      hardened Union troops. Photos of supposed Confederate dead were
      manufactured by George McClellan later to hide the fact that Lee and his
      batman killed 150,000 Federal troops, and wounded another 200,000. The two
      left the field in a buggy, Lee shooting a moon the whole way. McClellan saw
      it all through a glass (and darkly), but was too busy plotting to become
      President - and hating his mother despite an Oedipal complex - to bother
      pursuing. See "Landscape Turned Red" page beginning to page end.

      Hope this helps!

      Harry

      (Welcome, by the way)

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
        no not really , theyre were not 750,000 union troops at antietam and the confederates did not kill 150,000 at antietam but thanks for welcoming me

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
          He's just pulling your leg.

          D.H. Hill's Division in the road (less 1 or 2 Brigades that were sent
          elsewhere) but plus a couple of McLaw's Bdes that drifted away from
          the West Woods fight.

          Number counts vary greatly. Hopefully somebody can throw you an
          approx number.

          Dean

          On Nov 21, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Bob Hellmers wrote:

          > no not really , theyre were not 750,000 union troops at antietam
          > and the confederates did not kill 150,000 at antietam but thanks
          > for welcoming me

        • Matt Reardon
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
            Hi all,

            I've been doing a lot of research into the IX Corps attack late in the day.  After visiting Antietam a few months ago, I saw that the 8th CT and 9th NY monuments are very close to each other.  Each claiming that this was the point to which they advanced to.  Now I know that the 8th CT and 9th NY never fought this close together.  The 8th CT advanced towards the Harper's Ferry Rd and the 9th NY wheeled towards Sharpsburg.  Is there any reason why these two monuments are where they are?

            Thanks for any help,

            Matt

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
              Bob Hellmers;

              If you go to the Antietam on the Web website, all your basic
              questions will be answered....

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                Bob;

                Harry was reallllyyyyy pulling your leg on that response.

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                  Matt;

                  You might want to contact Antietam NBP for that one. Or go to
                  www.nps.gov/anti and see if you can find out anything that way.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                    Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
                    dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
                    like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
                    dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
                    the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
                    buying property in the wrong place.

                    Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
                    section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.

                    Dave McGowan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                      See message #5938 for the link to her dissertation.

                      > Matt, a bit of the story is recounted in Susan Trail's masterpiece of a
                      > dissertation Remembering Antietam, on pages 258 and following. Looks
                      > like the 8th Conn monument was dedicated on 10/10/94 and the 9th NY was
                      > dedicated on 5/30/97 after a lot of haggling over pieces of land that
                      > the farmers wanted exorbitant prices for and a mistake by the 9th in
                      > buying property in the wrong place.
                      >
                      > Guys, would it be ok to post that dissertation here in the files
                      > section? Or can someone send him a link? It's 32 MB.
                      >
                      > Dave McGowan
                      >

                      > Matt Reardon wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi all,
                      > >
                      > > I've been doing a lot of research into the IX Corps attack late in the
                      > > day. After visiting Antietam a few months ago, I saw that the 8th CT
                      > > and 9th NY monuments are very close to each other. Each claiming that
                      > > this was the point to which they advanced to. Now I know that the 8th
                      > > CT and 9th NY never fought this close together. The 8th CT advanced
                      > > towards the Harper's Ferry Rd and the 9th NY wheeled towards
                      > > Sharpsburg. Is there any reason why these two monuments are where they
                      > > are?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for any help,
                      > >
                      > > Matt

                    • Matt Reardon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                        Thanks everyone.

                        I have tried to contact the NPS, never got a response back.  I also went to Post #5938, linked there was a book about the US Signal Corps.

                        My next question probably won't have an answer.  Why does the NPS continue to tell people that the 9th NY advanced the farthest at that point when we all know they didn't?  And why do they get their monument on the park guide map?

                        Why is one units monument better than any of the others?

                        Just a little side note.  My interest in these monuments stems from my relation with the 8th Connecticut.  It was my g-g-g grandfathers first battle.  He served in Co. G.

                        Thanks again,

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Dear Matt,

                          First off, NPS at Antietam NBP does not answer emails
                          immediately. It may take a few days for the staff there to do
                          so.If you sent the email to the general email address, then it
                          has to get to the proper ranger there to read, look at
                          information etc and respond.

                          As to your comment about the 8th CT and the 9th NY.... I think
                          NPS is correct that the 9th NY did indeed go the furthest
                          _towards_ Sharpsburg on that part of the field than any other US
                          unit. However, according to the Carman map for 4.20 pm, the 8th
                          CT went the furthest of any US unit due west in the IX Corps
                          advance.

                          If you would like to have confirmation, check this link which is
                          the appropriate time frame map from the Carman-Cope maps of the
                          battle, done under supervision of Ezra Cope who not only fought
                          at Sharpsburg but was, after the war, the head of the battlefield
                          board and wrote a manuscript about the campaign and the battle
                          which is pretty much accepted as "the" participant account.
                          Carman wrote to veterans of both sides and was very meticulous in
                          obtaining information of various phases of the action from US and
                          CS veterans, their unit positions, etc.

                          Link:
                          http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=cwmap&action=browse&fileName=gmd384m/g3842m/g3842am/gcw0248000/ct_browse.db&recNum=12&itemLink=r?ammem/gmd:@filreq%28@field%28NUMBER+@band%28g3842am+gcw0248000%29%29+@field%28COLLID+cwmap%29%29&linkText=0&title2=Atlas%20of%20the%20battlefield%20of%20Antietam,%20prepared%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Antietam%20Battlefield%20Board,%20lieut.%20col.%20Geo.%20W.%20Davis,%20U.S.A.,%20president,%20gen.%20E.A.%20Carman,%20U.S.V.,%20gen.%20H%20Heth,%20C.S.A.%20Surveyed%20by%20lieut.%20col.%20E.B.%20Cope,%20engineer,%20H.W.%20Mattern,%20assistant%20engineer,%20of%20the%20Gettysburg%20National%20Park.%20Drawn%20by%20Charles%20H.%20Ourand,%201899.%20Position%20of%20troops%20by%20gen.%20E.%20A.%20Carman.%20%20Published%20by%20authority%20of%20the%20Secretary%20of%20War,%20under%20the%20direction%20of%20the%20Chief%20of%20Engineers,%20U.S.%20Army,%201908.&displayType=3&maxCols=3

                          Click on the map for 4.20 pm and then zoom into the area south
                          and slightly west of Sharpsburg for greater clarity.

                          Hope this helps. Also might be good idea for you sometime to
                          actually stomp the ground the 8th CT advanced over as well.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
                            Matt, here is the link to Trail's dissertation, from Larry's post #5874
                            (it is a direct download link):

                            http://www.lib.umd.edu/drum/bitstream/1903/2353/1/umi-umd-2211.pdf

                            I think it will answer a lot of questions, it sure did for me.

                            Dave McGowan