For Stephen Recker

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2009
      Steve...
      Saw your display at the Washington County Library.

      The stereocard of the photographer wagon that was from the collection of the Historical Society....do you estimate the date on that?

      By the clothing on the guy in the pic, it looks Civil War to me. What do you know about that photographer (his name escapes me at the moment).

      Thanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 6, 2009
        Steve,

        That display was actually put together by Elizabeth Howe who works at
        the library. I loaded her some images/info. Credit where it's due ;-)

        The stereoview is of E.M. Recher. He is a Hagerstown photographer who
        had a studio here on the square as early as 1855. His early stereoview
        of the Bloody Lane, showing the Lowman cabin, has been a topic of
        discussion here of late. My guess has always been that he started
        taking his stereoviews around 1877.

        He took a stereoview of the Washington House before it burned in 1879,
        and a whole series of the Western Maryland Railroad and Penmar and High
        Rock (which became prominent around 1879). He also took stereoviews of
        the dedication of Simon's monument in the National Cemetery (1880).
        Tipton was taking stereoviews at Antietam in 1877, and it's my guess
        that Recher heard about it and bought some stereo equipment and took
        the first known views outside the cemetery sometime shortly after.
        Before that he was taking CDVs in his Sky-Light Gallery on the square
        here in Hagerstown.

        If you say his dress is war-time, that's interesting. Maybe he was out
        of style.

        We need to call Bill Frasanito to figure out where that photo of Recher
        with his wagon was taken. Heck, there's at least one tree in the view.
        Should make it easy.

        Stephen

        On Thursday, November 5, 2009, at 12:05 PM, jeffcowvplanning wrote:

        > �
        > Steve...
        > Saw your display at the Washington County Library.
        >
        > The stereocard of the photographer wagon that was from the collection
        > of the Historical Society....do you estimate the date on that?
        >
        > By the clothing on the guy in the pic, it looks Civil War to me. What
        > do you know about that photographer (his name escapes me at the
        > moment).
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Steve Bockmiller

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
          Steve..

          Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?

          I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?

          Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.

          Thanks.
          Steve Bockmiller
        • s_recker
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
            Steve,

            Thanks for the note. Very interesting. I am aware of the stereo of him with his photo wagon and the numerous portraits in the Recher family file, but I don't think I have seen any in the regular photo files. Which image is that and where is it located? I'll run over at lunch. Thanks.

            BTW, do you know anything about the Yingling family on Potomac?

            Stephen

            --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

            > Steve..
            >
            > Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?
            >
            > I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?
            >
            > Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.
            >
            > Thanks.
            > Steve Bockmiller

          • s_recker
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
              If you are talking about the black and white 8x10 copy print of him with the big beard, I have no doubt that it is him, simply by comparing it to the stereo. The description, IIRC, simply gives his dates and describes him as a prominent photographer from Hagerstown. Not much to argue with there, but maybe we are not talking about the same photo?

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

              > Steve..
              >
              > Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?
              >
              > I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?
              >
              > Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Steve Bockmiller

            • Stephen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2010
                Steve..
                This one shows him (assuming it is him) as a young man, by the clothing I would estimate the late 1850s.....clean shaven on the front of the face, but with whiskers wrapping down under his chin....dark tails or frock coat, lighter brocade double breasted vest, standing collar, with wide cravat. Very antebellum in appearance. It was indentified in their files as Recher.

                Gimme your email address and I will email a copy to you.

                Steve

                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@...> wrote:

                > If you are talking about the black and white 8x10 copy print of him with the big beard, I have no doubt that it is him, simply by comparing it to the stereo. The description, IIRC, simply gives his dates and describes him as a prominent photographer from Hagerstown. Not much to argue with there, but maybe we are not talking about the same photo?
                >

                > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Steve..
                > >
                > > Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?
                > >
                > > I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?
                > >
                > > Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > > Steve Bockmiller

              • s_recker
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
                  Steve,

                  Thanks, but I have scans of those images already for my book on early photography at Antietam coming if fall of 2012 (shameless plug). I have no additional hard info on those photos, but here are my thoughts, er, speculations, as I plan to lay them out.

                  The b&w 8x10 matches the look in his stereoview, although it looks as though the 8x10 pre-dates the stereo. I figure that he got his outdoor equipment around 1877, which would make him about 59 years old in the stereo if it were an early promo photo (most people take photos of themselves with equipment that is new).The 8x10 of his wife Mary Catherine, matches in style his 8x10, so that is a positive.

                  The image you speak of matches the 8x10 in that it has those huge Recher ears and his jaw looks similar. He opened his photo studio on the square around 1855, best as I can find, which would make him twenty-seven if the portrait you speak of is a self-portrait of the new entrepreneur? Pretty thin, I know, but we take what we can get.

                  The third image of Recher, the really young one, has the same ears, although hidden, but the mouth is pouting and the jaw is more full, unlike the middle image. This threw me until recently when I received the incredible gift of a photo of young Harry Recher at the age of eight.

                  My father's name is Harry Recker. His given name is Henry, thus my son's name. You can imagine my delight when I saw this photo of young Harry Recher! He has those huge ears but, interestingly, he has a pout and a full jaw just like the young (supposedly) Elias Recher in the WCHS photo. I also believe, based on this image, that the youngster standing by Elias in the stereoview is young Harry at the age of nine. Elias had a lot of sons, but if the stereo is 1877, Harry is the best fit.

                  Hope that helps.

                  Steve

                  --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@...> wrote:

                  > Steve..
                  > This one shows him (assuming it is him) as a young man, by the clothing I would estimate the late 1850s.....clean shaven on the front of the face, but with whiskers wrapping down under his chin....dark tails or frock coat, lighter brocade double breasted vest, standing collar, with wide cravat. Very antebellum in appearance. It was indentified in their files as Recher.
                  >
                  > Gimme your email address and I will email a copy to you.
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "s_recker" <recker@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > If you are talking about the black and white 8x10 copy print of him with the big beard, I have no doubt that it is him, simply by comparing it to the stereo. The description, IIRC, simply gives his dates and describes him as a prominent photographer from Hagerstown. Not much to argue with there, but maybe we are not talking about the same photo?
                  > >

                  > > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <jeffcowvplanning@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve..
                  > > >
                  > > > Have you seen the portrait photo of Elias Recher at the WCHS collection?
                  > > >
                  > > > I ran across it in their photo files. You are the Recher expert...are you aware of the photo...and do you have any dispute with the description?
                  > > >
                  > > > Comparing it to the stereo card of him in front of his photography wagon, it appears that it could be him 25 years later.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks.
                  > > > Steve Bockmiller

                • s_recker
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2010
                    Steve,

                    I got to thinking. The middle photo is an albumen which, though invented around 1850, really came into vogue in studios in 1855, about the time Recher started his studio. Although he was best known in the 1850s as a Dagaurean, he was probably taking albumens as soon as they were available. Also, the inscription on the back..."Elias Recker who made these photos" supports that it was a self-portrait. I don't recognize the handwriting. It does not match his or the typical initials on his revenue stamps. Just some thoughts.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
                      Steve (Recker),

                      From reading the earlier post, are you and your son descendants of the Rechers?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
                        No, no relation. I was intrigued, though, when I found out that the
                        patriarch of Antietam photographers was named Recher, and often spelled
                        his name Recker. No relation that I know, though.

                        Stephen