Re: [TalkAntietam] Log cabin in the Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
      Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
      made etc.....

      From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
      much an art as science.

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

        Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

        David Lutton

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
          And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

          >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
          Tom,

          Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

          David Lutton
        • Scott D. Hann
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
            Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
              Guys;

              In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
              major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
              following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
              understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
              though.

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                  There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                  You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.