Re: [TalkAntietam] Log cabin in the Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
      I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
      On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

      Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

      Stephen and Tom,

      Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
        Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
        made etc.....

        From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
        much an art as science.

        >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
        >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
        >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
        >which was a man, I think.
        > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
        > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
        > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
        > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
        > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
        > things. :-)
        >

        > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        > Stephen and Tom,
        >
        > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

        > from

      • david lutton
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

          Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

          David Lutton

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
            And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

            >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
            Tom,

            Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

            David Lutton
          • Scott D. Hann
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
              Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                Guys;

                In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                though.

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                  If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                  Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                    There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                    You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.