Re: [TalkAntietam] Log cabin in the Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

      Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
      Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

      Thanks,
      Stephen

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
        I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
        that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
        slaves there?

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
          This is great stuff. Thanks!

          Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
            Stephen and Tom,

            Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
              I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
              On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

              Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                made etc.....

                From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                much an art as science.

                >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                >which was a man, I think.
                > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                > things. :-)
                >

                > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                > Stephen and Tom,
                >
                > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                > from

              • david lutton
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                  Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                  David Lutton

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                    And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                    >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                    Tom,

                    Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                    David Lutton
                  • Scott D. Hann
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Guys;

                        In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                        major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                        following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                        understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                        though.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                          If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                          Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                            There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                            You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.