Re: [TalkAntietam] Log cabin in the Sunken Road

    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
      Stephen,

      Are you referencing the cabin along the southern side of the
      Sunken Road in the famous post war photo? IIRC that was the home
      of Jerry Summers, a former slave of the Henry Piper family....
      and also IRRC the cabin was built post war and was there when the
      photo was taken in 1885.

      Tom Clemens might be able to be more helpful.

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
        Stephen,

        Here is a posting that I saved from Ranger Brian Baracz on Aug 28, 2006 regarding Lowman cabin....

        A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the crest of a hill right on the Sunken Road. The house in question is that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not there during the battle.

        It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is also where the Lowman Cabin once stood. The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of the Lowman Cabin.

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

          Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
          Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

          Thanks,
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
            I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
            that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
            slaves there?

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
              This is great stuff. Thanks!

              Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                Stephen and Tom,

                Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                  I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
                  On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

                  Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                    made etc.....

                    From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                    much an art as science.

                    >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                    >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                    >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                    >which was a man, I think.
                    > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                    > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                    > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                    > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                    > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                    > things. :-)
                    >

                    > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                    > Stephen and Tom,
                    >
                    > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                    > from

                  • david lutton
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                      Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                      David Lutton

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                        And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                        >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                        Tom,

                        Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                        David Lutton
                      • Scott D. Hann
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                            Guys;

                            In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                            major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                            following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                            understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                            though.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                              If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                              Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                                There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                                You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.