Re: [TalkAntietam] R.H. Anderson North of Town

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
      Dave,

      I have seen a map online that purports to show a CS signal
      station just north of Lee's GHQ as well as one in the Lutheran
      steeple. I would presume the signals were more of observation and
      reporting than anything else. As you know, Lee was all over the
      field the day of the battle.....

      Do you have the reprint of J. Willard Brown's book about the
      Signal Corps in the War of the Rebellion?

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
        In re Digest 1278, item 1b (Mayers):

        Yes, Gerry. I have "Brown," the standard ref for signal matters. (Centennial facsimile edition was co-produced by our organization, "Signal Corps Association, 1860-1865," website "civilwarsignals dot org.")

        Stuart's report (OR Vol 19, pt. 1) commending Frayser, his signal officer, is not specific about his location, but I have assumed that it was the Nicodemus Hill site noted on the Atlas map. (You also recall my 2005 piece on the sites marked on the map produced by Union topographer R.K. Sneden, carried on Antietam on the Web.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
          If this link works, you may read Brown online:

          http://www.archive.org/stream/signalcorpsusain00brow#page/n7/mode/2up

          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
            Dear Larry,

            I have Brown in the reprint volume. A weighty and thick book but
            well worth the read!

            You learn a whole lot about CW signals and even pre War stuff.
            Did not know LaFayette McLaws was also one of the early
            experimenters with signals out West... until I read the work.