R.H. Anderson North of Town

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
      I've been following the recent exchanges concerning Anderson and McLaws with interest. In the approach march to Harper's Ferry, McLaws followed the Pleasant Valley floor, with Anderson on his left and his "Maryland Heights" column proceeding along Elk Ridge on his right. This attracted my attention a couple of decades ago, because I had not read anything about the deployment -- it was just "McLaws' approach -- and I was fascinated, noting in OR 19 that the three columns apparently kept in touch with visual signaling (somewhat improvised because of Capt. Manning's illness, which removed Longstreet's Chief Signal Officer from the scene. Note Lt. Dwight's fall from Elk Ridge.). This is one of the few cases in which mobile Confederate units were using flag signals to coordinate their movement -- not necessarily to suggest that the practice continued as they closed on Sharpsburg, but just a comment. (It also harks back to McLaws' pre-war involvement with Myer's signal system out west.)

      However, this came to mind with discussion of "north," and Lutheran cemetery, etc. in connection with Anderson. Bill Frassanito's "Antietam" first called to my attention the reputed use of the tower of the Lutheran church by Confed signalmen, and he was generous in his time, supplying me with a citation and leading to my getting a copy of the old walking tour in which that was recorded. Since then, I have tried to find some indication of organizational tie-in (whose signalmen?) and whether the station was primarily an observation post or a communicating component of some general's battle plan (or a tie back to Lee's GHQ from the OP, perhaps akin to Capt. Frayser's from -- Nicodemus Hill?). Just wanted to note the above for your consideration of Anderson's movements and to register continued interest in anything relating to the signal service.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
        Dave,

        I have seen a map online that purports to show a CS signal
        station just north of Lee's GHQ as well as one in the Lutheran
        steeple. I would presume the signals were more of observation and
        reporting than anything else. As you know, Lee was all over the
        field the day of the battle.....

        Do you have the reprint of J. Willard Brown's book about the
        Signal Corps in the War of the Rebellion?

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
          In re Digest 1278, item 1b (Mayers):

          Yes, Gerry. I have "Brown," the standard ref for signal matters. (Centennial facsimile edition was co-produced by our organization, "Signal Corps Association, 1860-1865," website "civilwarsignals dot org.")

          Stuart's report (OR Vol 19, pt. 1) commending Frayser, his signal officer, is not specific about his location, but I have assumed that it was the Nicodemus Hill site noted on the Atlas map. (You also recall my 2005 piece on the sites marked on the map produced by Union topographer R.K. Sneden, carried on Antietam on the Web.)

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
            If this link works, you may read Brown online:

            http://www.archive.org/stream/signalcorpsusain00brow#page/n7/mode/2up

            Larry

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
              Dear Larry,

              I have Brown in the reprint volume. A weighty and thick book but
              well worth the read!

              You learn a whole lot about CW signals and even pre War stuff.
              Did not know LaFayette McLaws was also one of the early
              experimenters with signals out West... until I read the work.