Re: [TalkAntietam] re R H Anderson Division early morning to mornig of Sept 17

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
      On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
      > the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
      > ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

      Gerry,

      Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be accurate
      (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very vague.
      No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is lost.

      If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the back end
      of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is "arriving
      near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only McLaws
      _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head up
      toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but also
      for ...

      1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders (one
      carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
      Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's reserve),

      2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of McLaws on
      his way north,

      3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and

      4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.

      That's a lot to do in the time available.

      Dean

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
        Dean,

        IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
        actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
        plenty of time.

        Trying to reconcile some diverging bits of information as part of
        my book project about the 4th NC etc.

        > On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
        >
        >> If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in
        >> Sounding
        >> the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while
        >> ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....
        >
        > Gerry,
        >
        > Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be
        > accurate
        > (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very
        > vague.
        > No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is
        > lost.
        >
        > If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the
        > back end
        > of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is
        > "arriving
        > near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only
        > McLaws
        > _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head
        > up
        > toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but
        > also
        > for ...
        >
        > 1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders
        > (one
        > carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
        > Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's
        > reserve),
        >
        > 2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of
        > McLaws on
        > his way north,
        >
        > 3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and
        >
        > 4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.
        >
        > That's a lot to do in the time available.
        >
        > Dean

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
          On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
          > actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
          > plenty of time.

          Gerry,

          Looking forward to the book.

          My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not only
          shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow, indication
          movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).

          Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged at the
          Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
          between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively) distance to
          travel.

          Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
          estimate.

          Good luck!

          Dean

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
            Dear Dean,

            The book is historical fiction but am trying to get all the
            little nuances _accurate_ as possible and it covers the entire
            1862 MD Campaign from perspectives of two pards in the 4th NC and
            also a young officer who finds himself on Longstreet's staff
            temporarily.....

            I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
            advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
            near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
            by 0700 (at the latest)?

            > On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road
            >> and
            >> actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give
            >> him
            >> plenty of time.
            >
            > Gerry,
            >
            > Looking forward to the book.
            >
            > My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not
            > only
            > shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow,
            > indication
            > movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).
            >
            > Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged
            > at the
            > Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
            > between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively)
            > distance to
            > travel.
            >
            > Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
            > estimate.
            >
            > Good luck!
            >
            > Dean

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
              On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
              > advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
              > near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
              > by 0700 (at the latest)?

              Seems a bit early to me... not impossibly so, that depends on how
              long it took the rear of McLaws to close up west of town.

              My gut says they were still in the act of crossing the ford at that
              point.

              But that's all guesswork.

              Dean

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                Dean;

                Sometimes that is all there is to go on.

                With historical fiction you can take some liberties but I would
                prefer not to take too many with actual historical facts....

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Anyone know when that log cabin went up? The one just behind the 130th
                  PA monument. Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Stephen,

                    Are you referencing the cabin along the southern side of the
                    Sunken Road in the famous post war photo? IIRC that was the home
                    of Jerry Summers, a former slave of the Henry Piper family....
                    and also IRRC the cabin was built post war and was there when the
                    photo was taken in 1885.

                    Tom Clemens might be able to be more helpful.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                      Stephen,

                      Here is a posting that I saved from Ranger Brian Baracz on Aug 28, 2006 regarding Lowman cabin....

                      A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the crest of a hill right on the Sunken Road. The house in question is that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not there during the battle.

                      It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is also where the Lowman Cabin once stood. The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of the Lowman Cabin.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                        Gerry,

                        Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
                        Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

                        Thanks,
                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                          I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
                          that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
                          slaves there?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                            This is great stuff. Thanks!

                            Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                              Stephen and Tom,

                              Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
                                On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

                                Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                  Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                                  made etc.....

                                  From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                                  much an art as science.

                                  >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                                  >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                                  >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                                  >which was a man, I think.
                                  > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                                  > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                                  > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                                  > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                                  > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                                  > things. :-)
                                  >

                                  > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                  > Stephen and Tom,
                                  >
                                  > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                  > from

                                • david lutton
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                    Tom,

                                    Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                    David Lutton

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                      And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                                      >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                                      Tom,

                                      Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                      David Lutton
                                    • Scott D. Hann
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                        Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                          Guys;

                                          In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                                          major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                                          following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                                          understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                                          though.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                            If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                                            Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                                              There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                                              You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.