Re: [TalkAntietam] re R H Anderson Division early morning to mornig of Sept 17

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
      On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
      > then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
      > Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
      > presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?

      Hi Gerry!

      I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson from
      Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town" where
      he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the specification
      "north" anywhere.

      The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.

      A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right through
      town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My speculation
      is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the north
      rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be a
      number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along it, he
      got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead to
      get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery Hill.

      From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the Hagerstown
      Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill) between
      0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
      division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north of
      the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
      location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.

      Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was on the
      Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading west
      toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.

      The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting orders
      already.

      Dean

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
        Dear Dean,

        Good points etc. But how can we really be sure? Anderson was not
        really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
        what M'Laws says in his OR report. Since other maps I have seen
        indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
        slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
        farm, that is slightly to the north of the village. The problem
        with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
        hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
        it lies to the _east_ of the village.

        I could be confusing what Carman is saying with something similar
        that Harsh says in TATF about Anderson's movement order... see
        Chapter Eight, pp. 366-67 and Chapter Nine, pp. 368-69.

        > On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
        >
        >> Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
        >> then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
        >> Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
        >> presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?
        >
        > Hi Gerry!
        >
        > I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson
        > from
        > Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town"
        > where
        > he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the
        > specification
        > "north" anywhere.
        >
        > The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.
        >
        > A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right
        > through
        > town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My
        > speculation
        > is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the
        > north
        > rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be
        > number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along
        > it, he
        > got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead
        > get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery
        > Hill.
        >
        > From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the
        > Hagerstown
        > Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill)
        > between
        > 0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
        > division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north
        > of
        > the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
        > location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.
        >
        > Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was
        > on the
        > Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading
        > west
        > toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.
        >
        > The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting
        > orders
        > already.
        >
        > Dean

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
          On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?

          You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.

          > Anderson was not
          > really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
          > what M'Laws says in his OR report.

          McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I can
          see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy in
          charge of the division coming up behind his own.

          > Since other maps I have seen
          > indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
          > slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
          > farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.

          This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived there
          between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where the
          division is not shown at all... and the next one where the division
          is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the Sunken
          Road.

          > The problem
          > with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
          > hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
          > it lies to the _east_ of the village.

          Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that Longstreet's
          order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town (which
          works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh (pg
          367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the source.

          I have not been able to find an account where the order specified
          "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.

          You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg 198-199 of
          use.

          Dean

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
            Dean,

            Again thanks. However, I have Sounding the Shallows, so will need
            to find that and look up the citation.

            If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
            the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
            ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

            > On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?
            >
            > You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.
            >
            >> Anderson was not
            >> really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless
            >> of
            >> what M'Laws says in his OR report.
            >
            > McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I
            > can
            > see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy
            > in
            > charge of the division coming up behind his own.
            >
            >> Since other maps I have seen
            >> indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
            >> slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
            >> farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.
            >
            > This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived
            > there
            > between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where
            > the
            > division is not shown at all... and the next one where the
            > division
            > is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the
            > Sunken
            > Road.
            >
            >> The problem
            >> with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
            >> hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is
            >> that
            >> it lies to the _east_ of the village.
            >
            > Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that
            > Longstreet's
            > order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town
            > (which
            > works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh
            > (pg
            > 367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the
            > source.
            >
            > I have not been able to find an account where the order
            > specified
            > "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.
            >
            > You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg
            > 198-199 of
            > use.
            >
            > Dean

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
              On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
              > the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
              > ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

              Gerry,

              Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be accurate
              (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very vague.
              No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is lost.

              If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the back end
              of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is "arriving
              near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only McLaws
              _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head up
              toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but also
              for ...

              1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders (one
              carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
              Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's reserve),

              2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of McLaws on
              his way north,

              3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and

              4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.

              That's a lot to do in the time available.

              Dean

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                Dean,

                IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                plenty of time.

                Trying to reconcile some diverging bits of information as part of
                my book project about the 4th NC etc.

                > On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                >
                >> If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in
                >> Sounding
                >> the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while
                >> ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....
                >
                > Gerry,
                >
                > Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be
                > accurate
                > (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very
                > vague.
                > No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is
                > lost.
                >
                > If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the
                > back end
                > of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is
                > "arriving
                > near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only
                > McLaws
                > _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head
                > up
                > toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but
                > also
                > for ...
                >
                > 1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders
                > (one
                > carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
                > Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's
                > reserve),
                >
                > 2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of
                > McLaws on
                > his way north,
                >
                > 3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and
                >
                > 4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.
                >
                > That's a lot to do in the time available.
                >
                > Dean

              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                  On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                  > IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                  > actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                  > plenty of time.

                  Gerry,

                  Looking forward to the book.

                  My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not only
                  shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow, indication
                  movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).

                  Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged at the
                  Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                  between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively) distance to
                  travel.

                  Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                  estimate.

                  Good luck!

                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                    Dear Dean,

                    The book is historical fiction but am trying to get all the
                    little nuances _accurate_ as possible and it covers the entire
                    1862 MD Campaign from perspectives of two pards in the 4th NC and
                    also a young officer who finds himself on Longstreet's staff
                    temporarily.....

                    I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                    advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                    near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                    by 0700 (at the latest)?

                    > On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                    >
                    >> IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road
                    >> and
                    >> actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give
                    >> him
                    >> plenty of time.
                    >
                    > Gerry,
                    >
                    > Looking forward to the book.
                    >
                    > My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not
                    > only
                    > shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow,
                    > indication
                    > movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).
                    >
                    > Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged
                    > at the
                    > Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                    > between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively)
                    > distance to
                    > travel.
                    >
                    > Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                    > estimate.
                    >
                    > Good luck!
                    >
                    > Dean

                  • Dean Essig
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                      On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                      > advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                      > near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                      > by 0700 (at the latest)?

                      Seems a bit early to me... not impossibly so, that depends on how
                      long it took the rear of McLaws to close up west of town.

                      My gut says they were still in the act of crossing the ford at that
                      point.

                      But that's all guesswork.

                      Dean

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                        Dean;

                        Sometimes that is all there is to go on.

                        With historical fiction you can take some liberties but I would
                        prefer not to take too many with actual historical facts....

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 1 8:13 AM
                          Anyone know when that log cabin went up? The one just behind the 130th
                          PA monument. Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 1 5:30 PM
                            Stephen,

                            Are you referencing the cabin along the southern side of the
                            Sunken Road in the famous post war photo? IIRC that was the home
                            of Jerry Summers, a former slave of the Henry Piper family....
                            and also IRRC the cabin was built post war and was there when the
                            photo was taken in 1885.

                            Tom Clemens might be able to be more helpful.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 1 7:03 PM
                              Stephen,

                              Here is a posting that I saved from Ranger Brian Baracz on Aug 28, 2006 regarding Lowman cabin....

                              A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the crest of a hill right on the Sunken Road. The house in question is that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not there during the battle.

                              It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is also where the Lowman Cabin once stood. The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of the Lowman Cabin.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 2 2:35 AM
                                Gerry,

                                Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
                                Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

                                Thanks,
                                Stephen

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 2 2:41 AM
                                  I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
                                  that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
                                  slaves there?

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2 3:08 AM
                                    This is great stuff. Thanks!

                                    Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2 5:11 AM
                                      Stephen and Tom,

                                      Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 2 7:00 AM
                                        I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
                                        On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

                                        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 2 7:06 AM
                                          Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                                          made etc.....

                                          From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                                          much an art as science.

                                          >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                                          >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                                          >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                                          >which was a man, I think.
                                          > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                                          > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                                          > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                                          > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                                          > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                                          > things. :-)
                                          >

                                          > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                          > Stephen and Tom,
                                          >
                                          > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                          > from

                                        • david lutton
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 2 4:49 PM
                                            Tom,

                                            Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                            David Lutton

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 2 6:05 PM
                                              And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                                              >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                                              Tom,

                                              Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                              David Lutton
                                            • Scott D. Hann
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 2 7:01 PM
                                                Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 2 8:30 PM
                                                  Guys;

                                                  In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                                                  major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                                                  following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                                                  understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                                                  though.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 2 8:31 PM
                                                    If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                                                    Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                                                      There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                                                      You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.