Re: [TalkAntietam] re R H Anderson Division early morning to mornig of Sept 17

    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 27, 2009
      Dean,

      Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
      then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
      Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
      presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
        On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

        > Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
        > then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
        > Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
        > presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?

        Hi Gerry!

        I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson from
        Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town" where
        he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the specification
        "north" anywhere.

        The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.

        A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right through
        town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My speculation
        is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the north
        rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be a
        number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along it, he
        got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead to
        get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery Hill.

        From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the Hagerstown
        Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill) between
        0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
        division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north of
        the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
        location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.

        Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was on the
        Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading west
        toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.

        The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting orders
        already.

        Dean

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
          Dear Dean,

          Good points etc. But how can we really be sure? Anderson was not
          really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
          what M'Laws says in his OR report. Since other maps I have seen
          indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
          slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
          farm, that is slightly to the north of the village. The problem
          with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
          hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
          it lies to the _east_ of the village.

          I could be confusing what Carman is saying with something similar
          that Harsh says in TATF about Anderson's movement order... see
          Chapter Eight, pp. 366-67 and Chapter Nine, pp. 368-69.

          > On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
          >
          >> Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
          >> then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
          >> Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
          >> presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?
          >
          > Hi Gerry!
          >
          > I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson
          > from
          > Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town"
          > where
          > he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the
          > specification
          > "north" anywhere.
          >
          > The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.
          >
          > A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right
          > through
          > town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My
          > speculation
          > is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the
          > north
          > rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be
          > number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along
          > it, he
          > got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead
          > get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery
          > Hill.
          >
          > From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the
          > Hagerstown
          > Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill)
          > between
          > 0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
          > division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north
          > of
          > the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
          > location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.
          >
          > Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was
          > on the
          > Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading
          > west
          > toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.
          >
          > The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting
          > orders
          > already.
          >
          > Dean

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
            On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?

            You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.

            > Anderson was not
            > really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
            > what M'Laws says in his OR report.

            McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I can
            see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy in
            charge of the division coming up behind his own.

            > Since other maps I have seen
            > indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
            > slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
            > farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.

            This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived there
            between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where the
            division is not shown at all... and the next one where the division
            is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the Sunken
            Road.

            > The problem
            > with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
            > hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
            > it lies to the _east_ of the village.

            Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that Longstreet's
            order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town (which
            works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh (pg
            367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the source.

            I have not been able to find an account where the order specified
            "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.

            You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg 198-199 of
            use.

            Dean

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
              Dean,

              Again thanks. However, I have Sounding the Shallows, so will need
              to find that and look up the citation.

              If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
              the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
              ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

              > On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
              >
              >> Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?
              >
              > You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.
              >
              >> Anderson was not
              >> really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless
              >> of
              >> what M'Laws says in his OR report.
              >
              > McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I
              > can
              > see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy
              > in
              > charge of the division coming up behind his own.
              >
              >> Since other maps I have seen
              >> indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
              >> slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
              >> farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.
              >
              > This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived
              > there
              > between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where
              > the
              > division is not shown at all... and the next one where the
              > division
              > is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the
              > Sunken
              > Road.
              >
              >> The problem
              >> with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
              >> hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is
              >> that
              >> it lies to the _east_ of the village.
              >
              > Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that
              > Longstreet's
              > order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town
              > (which
              > works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh
              > (pg
              > 367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the
              > source.
              >
              > I have not been able to find an account where the order
              > specified
              > "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.
              >
              > You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg
              > 198-199 of
              > use.
              >
              > Dean

            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
                > the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
                > ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

                Gerry,

                Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be accurate
                (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very vague.
                No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is lost.

                If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the back end
                of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is "arriving
                near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only McLaws
                _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head up
                toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but also
                for ...

                1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders (one
                carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
                Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's reserve),

                2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of McLaws on
                his way north,

                3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and

                4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.

                That's a lot to do in the time available.

                Dean

                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                  Dean,

                  IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                  actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                  plenty of time.

                  Trying to reconcile some diverging bits of information as part of
                  my book project about the 4th NC etc.

                  > On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                  >
                  >> If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in
                  >> Sounding
                  >> the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while
                  >> ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....
                  >
                  > Gerry,
                  >
                  > Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be
                  > accurate
                  > (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very
                  > vague.
                  > No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is
                  > lost.
                  >
                  > If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the
                  > back end
                  > of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is
                  > "arriving
                  > near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only
                  > McLaws
                  > _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head
                  > up
                  > toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but
                  > also
                  > for ...
                  >
                  > 1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders
                  > (one
                  > carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
                  > Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's
                  > reserve),
                  >
                  > 2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of
                  > McLaws on
                  > his way north,
                  >
                  > 3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and
                  >
                  > 4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.
                  >
                  > That's a lot to do in the time available.
                  >
                  > Dean

                • Dean Essig
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                    On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                    > IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                    > actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                    > plenty of time.

                    Gerry,

                    Looking forward to the book.

                    My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not only
                    shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow, indication
                    movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).

                    Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged at the
                    Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                    between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively) distance to
                    travel.

                    Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                    estimate.

                    Good luck!

                    Dean

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                      Dear Dean,

                      The book is historical fiction but am trying to get all the
                      little nuances _accurate_ as possible and it covers the entire
                      1862 MD Campaign from perspectives of two pards in the 4th NC and
                      also a young officer who finds himself on Longstreet's staff
                      temporarily.....

                      I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                      advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                      near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                      by 0700 (at the latest)?

                      > On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                      >
                      >> IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road
                      >> and
                      >> actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give
                      >> him
                      >> plenty of time.
                      >
                      > Gerry,
                      >
                      > Looking forward to the book.
                      >
                      > My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not
                      > only
                      > shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow,
                      > indication
                      > movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).
                      >
                      > Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged
                      > at the
                      > Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                      > between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively)
                      > distance to
                      > travel.
                      >
                      > Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                      > estimate.
                      >
                      > Good luck!
                      >
                      > Dean

                    • Dean Essig
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                        On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                        > I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                        > advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                        > near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                        > by 0700 (at the latest)?

                        Seems a bit early to me... not impossibly so, that depends on how
                        long it took the rear of McLaws to close up west of town.

                        My gut says they were still in the act of crossing the ford at that
                        point.

                        But that's all guesswork.

                        Dean

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                          Dean;

                          Sometimes that is all there is to go on.

                          With historical fiction you can take some liberties but I would
                          prefer not to take too many with actual historical facts....

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                            Anyone know when that log cabin went up? The one just behind the 130th
                            PA monument. Thanks.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                              Stephen,

                              Are you referencing the cabin along the southern side of the
                              Sunken Road in the famous post war photo? IIRC that was the home
                              of Jerry Summers, a former slave of the Henry Piper family....
                              and also IRRC the cabin was built post war and was there when the
                              photo was taken in 1885.

                              Tom Clemens might be able to be more helpful.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                Stephen,

                                Here is a posting that I saved from Ranger Brian Baracz on Aug 28, 2006 regarding Lowman cabin....

                                A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the crest of a hill right on the Sunken Road. The house in question is that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not there during the battle.

                                It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is also where the Lowman Cabin once stood. The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of the Lowman Cabin.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                                  Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
                                  Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Stephen

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                    I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
                                    that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
                                    slaves there?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                      This is great stuff. Thanks!

                                      Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

                                      Stephen

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                        Stephen and Tom,

                                        Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                          I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
                                          On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

                                          Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                            Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                                            made etc.....

                                            From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                                            much an art as science.

                                            >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                                            >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                                            >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                                            >which was a man, I think.
                                            > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                                            > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                                            > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                                            > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                                            > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                                            > things. :-)
                                            >

                                            > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                            > Stephen and Tom,
                                            >
                                            > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                            > from

                                          • david lutton
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                                              Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                              David Lutton

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                                                >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                                                Tom,

                                                Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                                David Lutton
                                              • Scott D. Hann
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                  Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                    Guys;

                                                    In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                                                    major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                                                    following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                                                    understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                                                    though.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                      If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                                                      Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                                                        There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                                                        You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.