Re: [TalkAntietam] re R H Anderson Division early morning to mornig of Sept 17

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 27, 2009
      On Oct 27, 2009, at 11:43 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Does anyone know for sure where Anderson parked his division
      > before he received orders to move towards the Sunken Road?

      The Carmen-Cope maps show his division moving through and past
      Michael at 0900 and not at all at 0830. In the latter, McLaws is
      still in position awaiting orders just west of town, by 0900 McLaws
      has moved up to the West Woods.

      Hope that helps.

      Dean

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 27, 2009
        Dean,

        Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
        then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
        Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
        presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?

        > On Oct 27, 2009, at 11:43 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
        >
        >> Does anyone know for sure where Anderson parked his division
        >> before he received orders to move towards the Sunken Road?
        >
        > The Carmen-Cope maps show his division moving through and past
        > Michael at 0900 and not at all at 0830. In the latter, McLaws
        > is
        > still in position awaiting orders just west of town, by 0900
        > McLaws
        > has moved up to the West Woods.
        >
        > Hope that helps.
        >
        > Dean

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
          On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

          > Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
          > then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
          > Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
          > presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?

          Hi Gerry!

          I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson from
          Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town" where
          he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the specification
          "north" anywhere.

          The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.

          A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right through
          town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My speculation
          is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the north
          rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be a
          number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along it, he
          got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead to
          get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery Hill.

          From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the Hagerstown
          Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill) between
          0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
          division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north of
          the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
          location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.

          Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was on the
          Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading west
          toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.

          The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting orders
          already.

          Dean

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009
            Dear Dean,

            Good points etc. But how can we really be sure? Anderson was not
            really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
            what M'Laws says in his OR report. Since other maps I have seen
            indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
            slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
            farm, that is slightly to the north of the village. The problem
            with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
            hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
            it lies to the _east_ of the village.

            I could be confusing what Carman is saying with something similar
            that Harsh says in TATF about Anderson's movement order... see
            Chapter Eight, pp. 366-67 and Chapter Nine, pp. 368-69.

            > On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:19 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            >> Thanks. It does. But where was Dick Anderson's division before
            >> then 0830 time? In Carman it notes his is ordered to move from
            >> Shepherdstown Road "north of the village". So can it be a safe
            >> presumption that he moved to the Michael Farm?
            >
            > Hi Gerry!
            >
            > I see the Carmen recording of McLaws' instructions to Anderson
            > from
            > Longstreet to move "down the road to the hill beyond the town"
            > where
            > he'd await further orders. (pg 258) I'm not finding the
            > specification
            > "north" anywhere.
            >
            > The Carmen quote is verbatim from McLaws' OR Report.
            >
            > A literal translation of the order, would mean to move right
            > through
            > town to get orders near Cemetery Hill, I should think. My
            > speculation
            > is that Anderson chose to march around the town just to the
            > north
            > rather than have the division inside the town itself (could be
            > number of reasons to choose such a path). At some point along
            > it, he
            > got his orders to head toward the Sunken Road (or he rode ahead
            > get them), so he never actually took the division to Cemetery
            > Hill.
            >
            > From my own work for the game, Lee moved north along the
            > Hagerstown
            > Road (after scooting cross-country NW from Cemetery Hill)
            > between
            > 0830 and 0900 (when he was at the Sunken Road inspecting Hill's
            > division, etc.) Depending on when Anderson actually moved north
            > of
            > the town in that 30 minute window, he may have been in a prime
            > location to send an aide to order Anderson forward.
            >
            > Anyway, combining all this, it would appear that Anderson was
            > on the
            > Shepardstown Road (at best) or still on the tow-path heading
            > west
            > toward it from the ford (at worst) at 0830 itself.
            >
            > The one place we know he wasn't was north of the town awaiting
            > orders
            > already.
            >
            > Dean

          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
              On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

              > Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?

              You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.

              > Anderson was not
              > really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless of
              > what M'Laws says in his OR report.

              McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I can
              see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy in
              charge of the division coming up behind his own.

              > Since other maps I have seen
              > indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
              > slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
              > farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.

              This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived there
              between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where the
              division is not shown at all... and the next one where the division
              is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the Sunken
              Road.

              > The problem
              > with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
              > hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is that
              > it lies to the _east_ of the village.

              Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that Longstreet's
              order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town (which
              works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh (pg
              367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the source.

              I have not been able to find an account where the order specified
              "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.

              You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg 198-199 of
              use.

              Dean

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                Dean,

                Again thanks. However, I have Sounding the Shallows, so will need
                to find that and look up the citation.

                If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
                the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
                ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

                > On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:37 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                >
                >> Good points etc. But how can we really be sure?
                >
                > You can't, you can only look at the available evidence.
                >
                >> Anderson was not
                >> really part of M'Laws once he reaches Sharpsburg, regardless
                >> of
                >> what M'Laws says in his OR report.
                >
                > McLaws didn't imply that Anderson was under his command, that I
                > can
                > see... he was just carrying an order from Longstreet to the guy
                > in
                > charge of the division coming up behind his own.
                >
                >> Since other maps I have seen
                >> indicate (and I think the map you mentioned earlier for the
                >> slightly later time frame) Anderson somewhere near the Michael
                >> farm, that is slightly to the north of the village.
                >
                > This is correct and based on the Carmen-Cope maps, he arrived
                > there
                > between 0830 and 0900 (the time of the next earlier map...where
                > the
                > division is not shown at all... and the next one where the
                > division
                > is moving through the Michael farm on its way forward to the
                > Sunken
                > Road.
                >
                >> The problem
                >> with Cemetery Hill (what we know now as that was actually the
                >> hill...with a cornfield...right by the Lutheran cemetery) is
                >> that
                >> it lies to the _east_ of the village.
                >
                > Sure, and all accounts I've been able to find state that
                > Longstreet's
                > order was for Anderson to move to the hill "beyond" the town
                > (which
                > works just fine for Cem Hill). McLaws himself, Carmen and Harsh
                > (pg
                > 367) all agree on this... and all use McLaws' OR report as the
                > source.
                >
                > I have not been able to find an account where the order
                > specified
                > "north" of the town, please tell me where you saw it.
                >
                > You might find Sounding the Shallows, Chapter 9 part I, pg
                > 198-199 of
                > use.
                >
                > Dean

              • Dean Essig
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                  On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                  > If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in Sounding
                  > the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while to
                  > ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....

                  Gerry,

                  Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be accurate
                  (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very vague.
                  No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is lost.

                  If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the back end
                  of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is "arriving
                  near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only McLaws
                  _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head up
                  toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but also
                  for ...

                  1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders (one
                  carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
                  Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's reserve),

                  2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of McLaws on
                  his way north,

                  3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and

                  4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.

                  That's a lot to do in the time available.

                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                    Dean,

                    IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                    actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                    plenty of time.

                    Trying to reconcile some diverging bits of information as part of
                    my book project about the 4th NC etc.

                    > On Oct 29, 2009, at 12:54 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                    >
                    >> If you look up the last paragraphs of that citation in
                    >> Sounding
                    >> the Shallows, it sounds as if the division took quite a while
                    >> ford the river and march towards Sharpsburg....
                    >
                    > Gerry,
                    >
                    > Not sure what to make of Gibson's time hack. The time may be
                    > accurate
                    > (who knows?), but the location "near the battlefield" is very
                    > vague.
                    > No way of knowing if either point means much as the context. is
                    > lost.
                    >
                    > If we assume 0700 was the time the division bumped into the
                    > back end
                    > of McLaws, which was busy crossing the ford, and stopped is
                    > "arriving
                    > near the battlefield", that allows two hours for not only
                    > McLaws
                    > _and_ Anderson to fully cross, march down the tow path and head
                    > up
                    > toward the town (a read on that distance would be helpful), but
                    > also
                    > for ...
                    >
                    > 1) Anderson to get and act on what might have been two orders
                    > (one
                    > carried by McLaws to move through town and another, supposed by
                    > Harsh, to have sent him north of town to act as Longstreet's
                    > reserve),
                    >
                    > 2) to actually pass through (or allow to pass) the rear of
                    > McLaws on
                    > his way north,
                    >
                    > 3) March the distance north of town to Michaels, and
                    >
                    > 4) Start to execute an order to move to the Sunken Road.
                    >
                    > That's a lot to do in the time available.
                    >
                    > Dean

                  • Dean Essig
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                      On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road and
                      > actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give him
                      > plenty of time.

                      Gerry,

                      Looking forward to the book.

                      My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not only
                      shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow, indication
                      movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).

                      Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged at the
                      Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                      between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively) distance to
                      travel.

                      Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                      estimate.

                      Good luck!

                      Dean

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                        Dear Dean,

                        The book is historical fiction but am trying to get all the
                        little nuances _accurate_ as possible and it covers the entire
                        1862 MD Campaign from perspectives of two pards in the 4th NC and
                        also a young officer who finds himself on Longstreet's staff
                        temporarily.....

                        I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                        advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                        near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                        by 0700 (at the latest)?

                        > On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:18 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
                        >
                        >> IIRC Anderson does not get the order to move to Sunken Road
                        >> and
                        >> actually start doing so until around 1000... which might give
                        >> him
                        >> plenty of time.
                        >
                        > Gerry,
                        >
                        > Looking forward to the book.
                        >
                        > My 0900 time is from the Carmen-Cope map (only)... there it not
                        > only
                        > shows the division straddling Michael, but has an arrow,
                        > indication
                        > movement, taking it further forward (toward the Sunken Road).
                        >
                        > Sadly the next map is 1030, showing the division fully engaged
                        > at the
                        > Sunken Road. So, the movement into that action occurs some time
                        > between 0900 and 1030... with a very short (relatively)
                        > distance to
                        > travel.
                        >
                        > Pinning that down better will be quite tough. 1000 is not a bad
                        > estimate.
                        >
                        > Good luck!
                        >
                        > Dean

                      • Dean Essig
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                          On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:33 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                          > I think I will go with the time frame you mention as to when they
                          > advance. Would it be plausible to show the division somewhere
                          > near the Shepherdstown Road between Shepherdstown and Sharpsburg
                          > by 0700 (at the latest)?

                          Seems a bit early to me... not impossibly so, that depends on how
                          long it took the rear of McLaws to close up west of town.

                          My gut says they were still in the act of crossing the ford at that
                          point.

                          But that's all guesswork.

                          Dean

                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 29, 2009
                            Dean;

                            Sometimes that is all there is to go on.

                            With historical fiction you can take some liberties but I would
                            prefer not to take too many with actual historical facts....

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                              Anyone know when that log cabin went up? The one just behind the 130th
                              PA monument. Thanks.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                Stephen,

                                Are you referencing the cabin along the southern side of the
                                Sunken Road in the famous post war photo? IIRC that was the home
                                of Jerry Summers, a former slave of the Henry Piper family....
                                and also IRRC the cabin was built post war and was there when the
                                photo was taken in 1885.

                                Tom Clemens might be able to be more helpful.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
                                  Stephen,

                                  Here is a posting that I saved from Ranger Brian Baracz on Aug 28, 2006 regarding Lowman cabin....

                                  A recent question to the group asked about a structure in the background of a photo posted on the NPS Antietam site. Albert Kern visited the battlefield numerous times and took many great pictures during the early 1900's. One of his images of the Sunken Road shows a man standing in the road and in the background is a house on the crest of a hill right on the Sunken Road. The house in question is that of Henry Lowman. Lowman bought the land from the Mumma Family in 1873 and built the home that is in the picture. It was removed by the park in the late 1970's or early 80's because it was not there during the battle.

                                  It has been discovered that the Mumma Family owned quite a bit of land,even tracts that are west of Maryland Route 65. The Mummas did own the land on which the 130 PA monument sits today, which is also where the Lowman Cabin once stood. The park has no doubt that the building in this picture is that of the Lowman Cabin.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                                    Yes, that's the one. It was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Emory "Em"
                                    Summers. Em's mother was a slave of the Henry Piper family.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Stephen

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                      I just found another article that says the Em's wife died in 1937 and
                                      that she was the wife of a Piper Slave. Hmm, maybe him and his mom were
                                      slaves there?

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                        This is great stuff. Thanks!

                                        Was it one building with the Summers and the Lowman family sharing?

                                        Stephen

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                          Stephen and Tom,

                                          Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                            I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave, which was a man, I think.
                                            On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving. He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those things. :-)

                                            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                              Tom, interesting stuff. As to the hardtack, it depends on how
                                              made etc.....

                                              From all the years I have been making it, I have found it is as
                                              much an art as science.

                                              >I am not able to access my sources right now, but yes, I think
                                              >we are talking about two cabins, one disappearing much earlier
                                              >than the other. Also, IIRC, Henry Piper only owned one slave,
                                              >which was a man, I think.
                                              > On another topic, I read a letter last night from a soldier in
                                              > the 12th Corps who said hat on the march from DC they
                                              > encountered some 9th Corps soldiers he described as starving.
                                              > He said they offered 50 cents for a hard tack cracker! Wow, I
                                              > always had to have some point a gun at me to make me eat those
                                              > things. :-)
                                              >

                                              > Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                                              > Stephen and Tom,
                                              >
                                              > Are you not talking about two separate cabins?

                                              > from

                                            • david lutton
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009

                                                Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                                David Lutton

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                  And that's exactly the point Dave. Too many authors often make assumptions that the Union army was always well fed and well suplied. Reading these letters to the Battlefield Board, and many other sources too of course, it appears that this was not the case in the Maryland Campaign.

                                                  >>> "david lutton" <dunkerch@...> 11/02/09 7:49 PM >>>
                                                  Tom,

                                                  Imagine yourself on this campaign.... Hot dusty marches..Commissary wagons not keeping up or lost...I think that after a few days that Hard Tack would look pretty good!!

                                                  David Lutton
                                                • Scott D. Hann
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                    Tom, excellent point. In the writings of Colonel Edward Cross of the 5th New Hampshire he mentions a good number of his men were without shoes at Antietam.

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                      Guys;

                                                      In all fairness to Mac, this area...logistics....was one of the
                                                      major problems with why he could not effectively pursue the ANVa
                                                      following Sharpsburg...something Lincoln and Stanton did not
                                                      understand. Halleck should have been able to understand that
                                                      though.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
                                                        If you look at Troiani's painting about the advance of the Irish
                                                        Brigade, you do see some barefoot soldiers.............

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 24, 2010
                                                          There is also discussion of Jerry Summers in Kathleen Ernst's book on Maryland Civilians in the Civil War.

                                                          You likely have already seen the article in Catoctin History magazine, issue 11 2009, in which there is a photo and some discussion about Jeremiah Cornelius Summers and his home on Bloody Lane (pp. 20-21)? The name of the article is "The Dignity of Free Men: The Story of Tolson's Chapel in Sharpsburg" by Edie Wallace.