Union Signals at Antietam

  • flagflop
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2009
      National Geographic's new "Atlas of the Civil War" (ISBN: 978-1-4262-0347-3/0348-0; Neil Kagan, ed.), has several beautifully drawn or reproduced maps in Chapter 2. including (p. 103) a published map of the Antietam battlefield prepared by a topo officer on Doubleday's staff ("from actual surveys") and inscribed in ink (undated) that it was obtained from Washington and presented to Gen. Lee by Jeb Stuart. (The map is sourced as being from Library of Congress, Geo and Maps Div, CW0253000.) I didn't recall having seen it, and, upon study, noticed that the Union signal stations are shown connected by their lines of sight for visual (flag/torch) signaling. Combined with the representation of elevations by hachures and shadings, the sites are more clearly pinpointed than by the usual "dot" or the OR 19 descriptions. (The several sites, rather than one, serving GHQ near the Pry House is well illustrated, as are the lines connecting with the mountain station on the east, which played a key roll in relaying messages.)Perhaps they can be overlaid on modern topo map and give a better guide to the station locations (e.g., the one serving Burnside) than we've had before.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2009
        Dave,
        That map has been reproduced and is on sale at the Antietam Battlefield Museum store. If it is the same map, the Union forces are shown in Red and the Confederate in blue. It is a very interesting map on a number of levels. Thanks.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2009
          Looks like this is the one you describe given the Stuart ID:

          http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl?data=/home/www/data/gmd/gmd384/g3844/g3844s/cw0253000.sid&style=gmd&itemLink=D?gmd:5:./temp/~ammem_FSwd::@@@mdb=gmd,klpmap,ww2map&title=Map%20of%20the%20battlefield%20of%20Antietam,%20[Sept.%2017,%201862]%20[prepared%20by%20Lieut.%20Wm.%20H.%20Willcox,%20Top.%20Off.%20%26%20A.A.D.C.%20on%20Brig.%20Genl.%20Doubleday's%20staff,]%20%203d%20edition.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2009
            Thanks to both of you, Tom and Larry. Yes, same map. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I get up that way.