Re: [TalkAntietam] A soldier on Mac/9 month regiments

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2002
      Paula,

      Maybe I am incorrect and you are correct? But if it was not a PA
      unit, perhaps it might have been a unit from one of the other
      states. But I do seem to recall a nine month unit refusing to
      serve at Chancellorsville due to their enlistments expiring, and
      being made to fight anyways.....

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2002

        Paula wrote:

        Don't recall this Gerry - perhaps you are thinking of the 4th Pa on the eve of the battle of Bull Run?  Their 90 day enlistments were running out, and it was embarassment to John Hartranft, later Colonel(and later General and Governor of Pa) of the 51st Pa of Burnside Bridge fame.
        Paula,

            Gerry may be thinking about an incident that occurred with 6 companies of the 34th N.Y. and John Gibbon. These men had enlisted for 2 years and according to them their enlistment was at an end shortly before Chancellorsville. However the War Dept. had declared that the date of enlistment began, not when they had signed their enlistment papers but when their regiment was "officially" mustered in.  These men, some 50-75, were close to mutiny and their commander, Brig. Gen. Sully, feeling he couldn't handle the situation turned to Gibbon. Gibbon ordered the men marched on to a field under guard. Marksmen were waiting for them with orders to shoot if the men refused to return to their companies. Gen. Gibbon appealed to their patriotism and then told them he would not hesitate to give the order to fire. The men returned to their posts. Gibbon had Sully relieved but a court of inquiry reversed Gibbon's decision. However Sully was banished to the Dakotas. Shades of the 2nd Maine at Gettysburg, no?

        Regards,
        Teej

      • Pa128th@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
          In a message dated 3/31/02 10:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

          Gen. Gibbon appealed to their patriotism and then told them he would not hesitate to give the order to fire. The men returned to their posts. Gibbon had Sully relieved but a court of inquiry reversed Gibbon's decision. However Sully was banished to the Dakotas. Shades of the 2nd Maine at Gettysburg, no?

          Teej:

          I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.

          Thanks,

          Paula
        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002

            Paula wrote:

            Teej:

            I do recall this now - in fact, Sully is buried in the Philly area, I can't recall where, but I remember coming across his grave and looking up some info on him.
            Paula,
                Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.
            Teej

          • Pa128th@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2002
              In a message dated 4/1/02 5:39:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, teej@... writes:

              Sully is buried in Laurel Hill.in Philadelphia. If I may, before Brian tosses me, I think Gibbon was just worn out and felt Sully should have been able to handle this situation on his own.

              Well Teej, I give tours at Laurel Hill, but I couldn't remember if he was there or the other Cemetery near there - St James the Less, which has some CW folks.  For some reason, I thought he was in St. James.  I need to check out Sully.

              Thanks,

              Paula