Newbie

  • Bley
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
      Hello to all....

      I guess I'm the new kid in town so I thought I would just check in. The 1862 Maryland Campaign is without a doubt my favorite area of interest. I don't live very close (southern Wisconsin) to the area but have scoured the Maryland countryside a score of times. I managed to explore the South Mountain area before most of the battlefield sections were posted and received permission from land owners to walk and photograph the terrain. No great shakes for many of you I'm sure.

      I did manage to find a ball in the stone wall that I think was Garland's defensive position, which I found thrilling. My wife and I were married in the Dunker Church in 1988.

      Henry Klinefelter's family farm is within walking distance of my house. He served in the Federal Iron Brigade and helped man an artillery piece during the morning phase of the battle. He wrote a letter about his exploits at Antietam which I have a copy of.

      Anyway, I look forward to following your conversations and learning more about the campaign. Thanks for allowing me to join in.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
        Welcome to the group... do you have the letter that you could
        post here for the others to read?

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
          I'll see if I can make a .pdf copy and post it in the files. Stay tuned.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
            Welcome, and I think I recall someone getting married in the church in 1988, was it in the fall? Would love to see Klineflter's letter from the Western Iron Brigade, not to be confused with the New York Iron Brigade. :-)

            Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
              Biley;

              Not sure if the pdf file could be read via Yahoo Groups. Might be
              better if you can copy the text into a txt file, copy and then
              paste into an email.

              I'll see if I can make a .pdf copy and post it in the files. Stay
              tuned.

              > Welcome to the group... do you have the letter that you could
              > post here for the others to read?

              > from

            • Bley
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
                It was actually in July right after the 125th Anniversary Gettysburg re-enactment. I was thrilled to find the park fairly empty except for a busload of UK tourists. The Inn at Antietam was our getaway and we had the pleasure of dining with the owners (Fairbourne I think was the name).

                I'll work on the letter.

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
                  Yes, Cal & Betty Fairbourne sold the Inn several years ago and Cal just passed away earlier this year. It is still open and still a wonderful place to stay.

                  Dr. Thomas G. Clemens