Re: [TalkAntietam] Auto v. Antietam Monument

  • Matt B
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
      Looks like the monument bewteen the entrance to Bloody Lane and the Piper Farm road.  It's just after you top the hill coming up from Sharpsburg on the right hand side, about 1/4 mile or so before the main entrance to the park.  I agree, he would have been flying if he moved that chunk of granite that far off its base.  It's a wonder it didn't tear a hole in the wall.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
        I don't know, maybe I'll ride home that way and look, was too late to do so this morning. Usually there is little $ to replace such things but maybe insurance coverage, etc. can replace it. It honors Lt. Chamberlayne (6th VA, I think) and some infantryman who fired a cannon at Second Corps advance from the Sunken Road. It appeared mysteriously one day in the early 1900's, and that's all I remember without looking it up.

        >>> Dean Essig <d.essig@...> 10/19/2009 7:59 AM >>>

        Tom,

        Saw the videotape, but have you seen the damaged monument in
        person... is it readily salvageable?

        Obviously, the driver is not, here's hoping the passenger comes through.

        Dean