Re: [TalkAntietam] Auto v. Antietam Monument

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
      Well, since it is Federal installation, I would imagine FBI would
      get involved as well as armed personnel of NPS. Tom C, what is
      your take on this?

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
        It is a traffic accident on a a state road. It was handled by the local ambulance company, I think Boonsboro Ambulance also went as we heard sirens about that time while we were in church. No need for FBI or any feds to handle a traffic accident. The fellow killed was the father of one f our neighbors. He was elderly and I suspect either had a seizure or some medical problem which caused him to lose control of the car. Speed limit there is 40, but maybe he was going a bit faster.

        Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

        Well, since it is Federal installation, I would imagine FBI would
        get involved as well as armed personnel of NPS. Tom C, what is
        your take on this?

        > How do they handle a fatality like that on NPS land?
        >
        > Dave McGowan
        >
        > RoteBaron wrote:
        >>

        >> There is a short video report of the accident at:
        >> http://your4state.com/content/video/?cid=84122
        >> <http://your4state.com/content/video/?cid=84122>
        >>
        >> Based on what I see, that looks like the Army of Northern
        >> Virginia
        >> Monument, which is near Piper Lane. It commemorates Lt
        >> Chamberlaine
        >> and others who manned an abandoned gun on that spot.
        >>
        >> Tom Shay

      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009

          Saw the videotape, but have you seen the damaged monument in
          person... is it readily salvageable?

          Obviously, the driver is not, here's hoping the passenger comes through.

          Dean
        • Matt B
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
            Looks like the monument bewteen the entrance to Bloody Lane and the Piper Farm road.  It's just after you top the hill coming up from Sharpsburg on the right hand side, about 1/4 mile or so before the main entrance to the park.  I agree, he would have been flying if he moved that chunk of granite that far off its base.  It's a wonder it didn't tear a hole in the wall.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
              I don't know, maybe I'll ride home that way and look, was too late to do so this morning. Usually there is little $ to replace such things but maybe insurance coverage, etc. can replace it. It honors Lt. Chamberlayne (6th VA, I think) and some infantryman who fired a cannon at Second Corps advance from the Sunken Road. It appeared mysteriously one day in the early 1900's, and that's all I remember without looking it up.

              >>> Dean Essig <d.essig@...> 10/19/2009 7:59 AM >>>

              Tom,