Re: [TalkAntietam] Auto v. Antietam Monument

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
      What Sharpsburg Pike? Rte 65 or 64 to Boonsboro?

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
        From Hagerstown Herald-Mail (October 18, 2009).....

        Driver dies after Sharpsburg Pike accident

        SHARPSBURG - The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident Sunday morning on Sharpsburg Pike was pronounced dead at Washington County Hospital, according to a Maryland State Police news release.

        It is not clear what caused the accident that resulted in the death of John Robert Miller, 86, of Bakersville Road, Boonsboro, Sgt. Andrew Smith said Sunday night.

        A passenger in the car, Patsy Miller, 81, of Boonsboro, was in fair condition Sunday night at Washington County Hospital, Smith said.

        A 1992 Buick LeSabre being driven by John Robert Miller was northbound near 5604 Sharpsburg Pike when it ran off the right roadside and struck a mailbox and drainage ditch, according to the state police. The vehicle then went airborne and struck a monument before overturning into a stone wall, police said. It came to rest on its roof.

        The accident just south of the Antietam National Battlefield visitors center was reported at 11:22 a.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said.

        Posted by: Tom Shay

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
          Looking at it on Google Map, it seems to be at the entrance of Bloody
          Lane, on NPS property. He must have been flying.

          Dave McGowan

          RoteBaron wrote:

          > From Hagerstown Herald-Mail (October 18, 2009).....
          >
          > Driver dies after Sharpsburg Pike accident
          >
          > SHARPSBURG - The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident Sunday
          > morning on Sharpsburg Pike was pronounced dead at Washington County
          > Hospital, according to a Maryland State Police news release.
          >
          > It is not clear what caused the accident that resulted in the death of
          > John Robert Miller, 86, of Bakersville Road, Boonsboro, Sgt. Andrew
          > Smith said Sunday night.
          >
          > A passenger in the car, Patsy Miller, 81, of Boonsboro, was in fair
          > condition Sunday night at Washington County Hospital, Smith said.
          >
          > A 1992 Buick LeSabre being driven by John Robert Miller was northbound
          > near 5604 Sharpsburg Pike when it ran off the right roadside and
          > struck a mailbox and drainage ditch, according to the state police.
          > The vehicle then went airborne and struck a monument before
          > overturning into a stone wall, police said. It came to rest on its roof.
          >
          > The accident just south of the Antietam National Battlefield visitors
          > center was reported at 11:22 a.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher
          > said.
          >
          > Posted by: Tom Shay

        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
            There is a short video report of the accident at:
            http://your4state.com/content/video/?cid=84122

            Based on what I see, that looks like the Army of Northern Virginia Monument, which is near Piper Lane. It commemorates Lt Chamberlaine and others who manned an abandoned gun on that spot.

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
              How do they handle a fatality like that on NPS land?

              Dave McGowan

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
                Kind of hard to tell from the poor shot of the monument. You can
                see where the tire marks are but if the driver hit a mailbox
                first, the one that was filmed could not be the one that was hit.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Well, since it is Federal installation, I would imagine FBI would
                  get involved as well as armed personnel of NPS. Tom C, what is
                  your take on this?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                    It is a traffic accident on a a state road. It was handled by the local ambulance company, I think Boonsboro Ambulance also went as we heard sirens about that time while we were in church. No need for FBI or any feds to handle a traffic accident. The fellow killed was the father of one f our neighbors. He was elderly and I suspect either had a seizure or some medical problem which caused him to lose control of the car. Speed limit there is 40, but maybe he was going a bit faster.

                    Dr. Thomas G. Clemens

                    Well, since it is Federal installation, I would imagine FBI would
                    get involved as well as armed personnel of NPS. Tom C, what is
                    your take on this?

                    > How do they handle a fatality like that on NPS land?
                    >
                    > Dave McGowan
                    >
                    > RoteBaron wrote:
                    >>

                    >> There is a short video report of the accident at:
                    >> http://your4state.com/content/video/?cid=84122
                    >> <http://your4state.com/content/video/?cid=84122>
                    >>
                    >> Based on what I see, that looks like the Army of Northern
                    >> Virginia
                    >> Monument, which is near Piper Lane. It commemorates Lt
                    >> Chamberlaine
                    >> and others who manned an abandoned gun on that spot.
                    >>
                    >> Tom Shay

                  • Dean Essig
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009

                      Saw the videotape, but have you seen the damaged monument in
                      person... is it readily salvageable?

                      Obviously, the driver is not, here's hoping the passenger comes through.

                      Dean
                    • Matt B
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                        Looks like the monument bewteen the entrance to Bloody Lane and the Piper Farm road.  It's just after you top the hill coming up from Sharpsburg on the right hand side, about 1/4 mile or so before the main entrance to the park.  I agree, he would have been flying if he moved that chunk of granite that far off its base.  It's a wonder it didn't tear a hole in the wall.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 19, 2009
                          I don't know, maybe I'll ride home that way and look, was too late to do so this morning. Usually there is little $ to replace such things but maybe insurance coverage, etc. can replace it. It honors Lt. Chamberlayne (6th VA, I think) and some infantryman who fired a cannon at Second Corps advance from the Sunken Road. It appeared mysteriously one day in the early 1900's, and that's all I remember without looking it up.

                          >>> Dean Essig <d.essig@...> 10/19/2009 7:59 AM >>>

                          Tom,