124th PA and the Hagerstown Pike fence

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
      I'm looking for clear cites about the 124th PA and the fence on the
      west side of the Hagerstown Pike. I've found some quotes but they all
      seem to reference either a worm fence or a different fence. Any
      thoughts? Thanks.

      Stephen
    • gtmcftsotcwgrad
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
        Stephen,

        I checked the ORs (just on the very off chance that you hadn't...) and read through the pertinent reports, but I only found scant references to any fences. In Maj. Haldeman's report, the regiment did advance to "the fence," but it doesn't give many details:

        On reaching the extreme edge of the wood on the east side of the corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, a portion of our right extending across the road and beyond the grain stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about 20 paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. It is here our colonel was wounded. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field and take position behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, advancing about 100 yards, received a raking fire from the enemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from our men, but the fire from our left and the battery of the enemy on the right compelled us to again fall back to the stacks. A battery now planted on the hill between the wood and the corn-field and opposite the stacks, this portion of our right was ordered to its support. The balance of the regiment followed up the advance through the corn-field, making many successful charges upon the enemy, until they were also ordered back to the support of the battery.

        Maj. I.J. Haldeman
        O.R.s Vol. XIX, Part I, page 491.

        The rest of the report talks about how they were ordered to withdraw, etc., and none of the other reports mention a fence in conjunction with the 124th PVI.

        Hope that helps!

        Adam Zimmerli
        MA/MLIS

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
          Steve,
          I've got over a dozen letters from Broomhall, the Colonel. Will get them to you Monday.
          Tom

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
            Just for giggles, I looked in the regimental for the 125th PA and, while
            it's pretty descriptive of that unit's approach to the Dunker Church and the
            West Woods, it only off handedly mentions a fence corner on the Smoketown
            Rd, nothing about fences on the Pike.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009

              Many thanks. You always come through.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009
                Thanks. See my notes. Comments welcome.

                On Saturday, October 17, 2009, at 08:13 PM, gtmcftsotcwgrad wrote:

                > Stephen,
                >
                > I checked the ORs (just on the very off chance that you hadn't...) and
                > read through the pertinent reports, but I only found scant references
                > to any fences. In Maj. Haldeman's report, the regiment did advance to
                > "the fence," but it doesn't give many details:
                >
                > On reaching the extreme edge of the wood on the east side of the
                > corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the
                > fence.

                (I think this is a North Woods fence)

                > We were then ordered to advance, a portion of our right extending
                > across the road and beyond the grain stacks. We were led in line into
                > the corn-field about 20 paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not
                > distinguish our own troops. It is here our colonel was wounded. We
                > were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field and take
                > position behind the fence, which was done in good order.

                (I think this is is, but it is unclear)

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Thanks., That was good for a laugh ;-)