Re: River Fording Adventure

  • ScottH
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
      I'd be more than happy to attend. Will there be any more tree replanting this year?

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
        Yes, in the East Woods. We started there last Spring and they will do more now that Fall is here.

        >>> "ScottH" <sdhann@...> 10/09/09 4:39 PM >>>
        I'd be more than happy to attend. Will there be any more tree replanting this year?

        > It would be great to have you at the Work Day. The NPS can be very cautious about machines & volunteers for safety/liability issues, but it never hurts to ask. If we get enough folks, yes we'll do more along the Piper farm lane where we were last year, and planting trees in East Woods.
        > Looking forward to seeing you in November.
        > I hope to attend the workday. I asked the park about using my tractor but no response yet; the volunteer ranger, Christie, referred my question to the chief ranger. I recall you said we would be doing either fence clearing or planting--any updates yet? My tractor would be of use in clearing, not planting.
        >
        > Larry
        >
        > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clemens" <clemenst@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Nor do I. Thanks for the offer, we'll do it. Reminder for all about SHAF Work Day on Nov. 14 from 9 until ??? Meet at the Visitor's Center Parking lot and bring gloves, water, etc. Dress for theweather, cancelled if it is steady rain.
        > >
        > > Thomas G. Clemens D.A.
        > > Professor of History
        > > Hagerstown Community College

        > > I was on the 3:30 tour with Tom McGrath and we seemed not to be on the smooth part I remember from last year. His description of the battle was excellent however. Two of our group fell in but did not get totally under--heads remained above water.
        > >
        > > I would be willing to help scout the ford next year. Perhaps if two or three of us started at the mill dam and formed a line heading downriver, we could find it.
        > >
        > > Here is some other info on the ford from John H. Worsham of the Twenty-first Virginia Infantry who crossed with Early 4 July 1864 from WV into MD: For about one-third of the way the bottom of the river was covered with large round stones, after which was a smooth and level bed of granite that extended nearly to the opposite bank. I got along very well until I reached the level granite bottom, which was covered with minute shells so very sharp that they stuck into my feet at every step," p. 150, "One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry."
        > >
        > > I remember the boulders from last year but they were on the Maryland side of the ford. I don't remember as many weeds in the water last year.
        > >
        > > Larry

      • ScottH
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2009
          Thanks Tom. Where can I find information about the East Woods tree planting?

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2009
            We will be doing some on Sat. nov. 14 at 9. Meet at the Visitor's Center, wear clothing appropriate to the weather. If it is steady rain we'll cancel. Bring gloves, water and plan to work 3-4 hours. For more details on the whole tree planting program call 301-432-2243 and ask for Joe Calzarette, Natural Resources Manager. I hope to see you there.