September 17th questions

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
      Gang,

      A few September 17th questions.....

      1. Harsh, in TATF, mentions that on the very early morning of
      September 17th, McLaws finds Longstreet and some of his staff
      riding into Sharpsburg "from the west". Any one know where
      Longstreet slept the night of September 16th to 17th? Also, was
      "Peter" Longstreet on an inspection tour of is lines in the early
      morning of September 17th, which might account for his being to
      the west of the village when McLaws meets him?

      2. IIRC, Rodes and his brigade was advancing north towards the
      East Woods from his bivouac east of the Piper farm buildings when
      he met the survivors of Colquitt, Garland vice McRae and falls
      back to the Sunken Road to take position. Does his action in
      falling back to the Sunken Road happen before or at roughly the
      same time as G B Anderson and his brigade march up into position
      from the Roulette Lane eastwards?

      3. IIRC that skirmishers from each brigade were sent forward to
      the general area of the Roulette farm to warn against any Federal
      advances? Does Carman say which regiments furnished the
      skirmishers to cover Rodes and Anderson in their respective areas
      of reasonability?

      Thank you all for your prompt assistance. I have finally reached
      the chapter of my book manuscript dealing with September 17th and
      need some additional help.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009

        Here is a link to Carman's materials online which should help:

        http://kperlotto3.home.comcast.net/~kperlotto3/carman/EzraCarman.pdf

        Good luck on your research and analysis.

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
          Thanks! I will take a look sometime soon.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2009
            Does it answer the question of where Longstreet was to the west
            of Sharpsburg when he meets McLaws and also where he slept the
            night of the 16th?

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2009
              I'm looking for clear cites about the 124th PA and the fence on the
              west side of the Hagerstown Pike. I've found some quotes but they all
              seem to reference either a worm fence or a different fence. Any
              thoughts? Thanks.

              Stephen
            • gtmcftsotcwgrad
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
                Stephen,

                I checked the ORs (just on the very off chance that you hadn't...) and read through the pertinent reports, but I only found scant references to any fences. In Maj. Haldeman's report, the regiment did advance to "the fence," but it doesn't give many details:

                On reaching the extreme edge of the wood on the east side of the corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, a portion of our right extending across the road and beyond the grain stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about 20 paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. It is here our colonel was wounded. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field and take position behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, advancing about 100 yards, received a raking fire from the enemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from our men, but the fire from our left and the battery of the enemy on the right compelled us to again fall back to the stacks. A battery now planted on the hill between the wood and the corn-field and opposite the stacks, this portion of our right was ordered to its support. The balance of the regiment followed up the advance through the corn-field, making many successful charges upon the enemy, until they were also ordered back to the support of the battery.

                Maj. I.J. Haldeman
                O.R.s Vol. XIX, Part I, page 491.

                The rest of the report talks about how they were ordered to withdraw, etc., and none of the other reports mention a fence in conjunction with the 124th PVI.

                Hope that helps!

                Adam Zimmerli
                MA/MLIS

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
                  Steve,
                  I've got over a dozen letters from Broomhall, the Colonel. Will get them to you Monday.
                  Tom

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 17, 2009
                    Just for giggles, I looked in the regimental for the 125th PA and, while
                    it's pretty descriptive of that unit's approach to the Dunker Church and the
                    West Woods, it only off handedly mentions a fence corner on the Smoketown
                    Rd, nothing about fences on the Pike.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009

                      Many thanks. You always come through.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009
                        Thanks. See my notes. Comments welcome.

                        On Saturday, October 17, 2009, at 08:13 PM, gtmcftsotcwgrad wrote:

                        > Stephen,
                        >
                        > I checked the ORs (just on the very off chance that you hadn't...) and
                        > read through the pertinent reports, but I only found scant references
                        > to any fences. In Maj. Haldeman's report, the regiment did advance to
                        > "the fence," but it doesn't give many details:
                        >
                        > On reaching the extreme edge of the wood on the east side of the
                        > corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the
                        > fence.

                        (I think this is a North Woods fence)

                        > We were then ordered to advance, a portion of our right extending
                        > across the road and beyond the grain stacks. We were led in line into
                        > the corn-field about 20 paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not
                        > distinguish our own troops. It is here our colonel was wounded. We
                        > were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field and take
                        > position behind the fence, which was done in good order.

                        (I think this is is, but it is unclear)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 18, 2009
                          Thanks., That was good for a laugh ;-)