re "Revolving Guns"????

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2009
      Gang,

      In Taken at the Flood, pg. 342, Harsh mentions a letter which Lee
      writes to Davis about the progress of the Maryland campaign from
      September 12 through the 16th. Harsh quotes part of Lee's letter,
      the part about Jackson's news of the reduction of Harper's Ferry;
      the letter contains information of something I find extremely
      interesting and have no clue as to what he meant:

      "From a more detailed statement furnished by General Jackson's
      adjutant-general, it appears that 49 pieces of artillery, 24
      mountain howitzers, and 17 revolving guns, 11,000 men fit for
      duty (consisting of twelve regiments of infantry, three companies
      of cavalry, and six companies of artillery), together with 11,000
      small-arms, were the fruits of this victory."

      I can visualize what mountain howitzers are and I presume the
      varied pieces of artillery probably included the 3 inch ordnance
      rifle and 12 lb Napoleon pieces in varying degrees of quantity.
      However, I am totally at a loss and puzzled at what "revolving
      guns" could be? It is clear that Lee refers to them in the
      context of artillery (I think???).

      Any help here?