Quakers in the war

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2002
      In a message dated 3/31/02 8:29:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, antietam@... writes:

      << Did Magill -- apparently a Quaker -- write any other letters you  can quote.  I'm curious about the struggles of conscience he may well have experienced about going to war at all.  My own ggf's letters to his Quaker family deal some with the same personal conflict. >>

      I have other letters from Magill, but I haven't transcribed them.  But I don't recall any problems of conscience mentioned.  He was very determine to fight for his country.  There were quite a few Quakers who fought for the cause as I am sure you know.  The most famous, Colonel(later General) Langhorne Wister of the 150th Pa.  In fact, Wister had 5 other brothers who in one way or another fought during the war.  The Wister family are descendent from James Logan, personal secretary to William Penn.

      Paula